You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:49 pm 

Hi all,

I'm just curious to know what others have heard/believe about products that state that they use GMP? Do you trust that they are free from cross contamination? Planet Organic flours apparently have GMP on their label but based on what I read on this website http://www.foodallergens.info/Manufac/GMP.html

I'm not 100% certain that it's something I can hang my hat on. Another company in the US told me they use GMP and that they specifically cater to allergic individuals so I felt OK with that but it seems from what I've just read that GMP may not be, in and of itself, the end of the story.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Heather

DS, 4, allergic to PN, TN, sesame, chick pea and lentil, EA, dog, cat, asthma
DS, 16 mo, former multiple food intolerances, asthma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:10 pm 

This makes me think of something I heard a little bit ago on the news about food regulations and the differences and trade between the U.S. and Canada. I wonder how that will affect allergy listings in the future. Are our regs the same as there? Ya know, food shouldn't be this complicated.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:46 pm 

I haven't looked into GMP specifically, but I found this brand of soy/coconut ice cream when in Hawaii one year, and after reading about it, felt confident to give it to the kids: http://www.turtlemountain.com/health/health.shtml

In the US, it's labelled as 'may contain', but then it goes on to say that they thoroughly clean the lines between products, and test their batches.

When back in Canada, I noticed the labels say 'may contain' and don't mention their policies. I emailed them and was told it was all made in the same facility, but labelled differently in Canada. So, yes, I trust them and continue to purchase their ice cream for the kids.

I would tend to trust a large company (like Kraft) when they say they clean their lines between products. With smaller companies, I would have to ask a few more questions before feeling comfortable. I had a bad experience with a small bakery that was confident their products were safe, but when I investigated a bit further, turns out it was not safe at all, and they were just overly confident and had very little knowledge on how to prevent cross contamination.