You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:45 pm 

We are going to Australia early next year and just found out our original YVR to LAX flight has been cancelled and the options are a much earlier flight or connecting through SF. Connecting means 4 (yes, 4!) flights to get to Perth. The earlier flight is at 7am, not desirable, and an 11.5 hr stopover.

Sooooo, would you consider going to Disney? I figure once we get to Disney on a shuttle and then get back to the airport to go through security, etc, we would have maybe 6hours at the actual park. It would be a week day, so hopefully not busy?

Thoughts?

I haven't mentioned to DH yet. The kids would probably love it although I'm wondering if it would be too frustrating because we wouldn't be able to see very many things. We have never been, but the kids, esp 7yo DD has been asking to go.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:47 am 

It would be so fun for the kids even for a short visit...just be sure you think of any other delays which could shorten the visit even further....long lines, bathroom trips, other unforeseen situations. I hope it works out as that would be a huge extra treat for the kids....see if someone who lives closer and knows the proximity of everything with traffic etc. could give you a good answer. Also, you would need to use your super mommy planning skills (which I know you have :lol: ) and figure out exactly what you want to see you no time is wasted reading maps etc.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!! :swing :happydance

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:12 pm 

Thanks BC. Still contemplating. . . .DH wants to do the afternoon flight through SF. . . I haven't even mentioned disney to him. He's reluctant to even consider taking them there at all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:45 am 

Have you considered something like Universal Studios instead? I think it's closer, fewer lineups, but still lots of fun rides. I know once my kids got to Disneyland, it was hard to convince them to leave after a few hours.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:04 pm 

Disney or Universal for one day is very pricey too, so be sure to factor that in. Otherwise, after travelling and then 6 hours in the parks, the kids (and adults) may be tired and want a nap! I think a well-planned stop at Disney (with everyone; just one park, not both) or Universal (with older kids) would be a great way to spend the long lay-over. And then you'll all be tired to sleep on the long flight.

If you choose to do so, pick two or three attractions you really want to do and do them first, then any extra time you get can be treated as a bonus and emphasize that to the kids, and remind them of the countdown clock... only 60 minutes left... only 30 minutes left, etc. Keep some time set aside at the end for shopping in case someone wants a souvenir. I find most kids deal well when they know what to expect and are reminded of those expectations. Plus, they have lots to look forward to after the lay-over - a trip to Australia - woohoo!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:41 pm 

Good points to consider - thanks for the tips!