Post subject: Re: Meat!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, good...I think :D .

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:00 am 

Here's my opinion on the subject of meat, hopefully it will help.

I react to almost all store bought meat, even some butcher meat but for some reason Metro meat I m ok with. My allergist told me (because I'm allergic to bad food additives and preservatives) that a lot of grocery stores dye the meat red to try to make it appear more fresh.

As weird as this might sound, depending on the expiry date on the meat when you purchase it, a good rule of thumb I do every time is try to find meat that has a less red color, usually a red-ish brown color is what i try and find, which is great because most uneducated people always want the meat with the brightest red in it.

Now that you think about what I just wrote, don't you think my allergist is pretty smart? She has been an allergist for 20 years and knows her stuff IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:14 pm 

I must comment as I am anaphylactic to Chicken and all Avian (by smell). I used to be able to eat Chicken. I do not tolerate most meats and am mostly Vegan. I react to KFC if I walk inside. :rofl I also am finding I am intolerant of Gelatin, although it is still mild enough to be not a huge issue.

Edited due to content is a non sequitur: :roll:
Some people react to the feed given to animals. True! Gelatin Issue however: If one reacts to both the meat and Jello then I can say that the person might react to more then just the "usual protein" that people who are allergic to said meat reacts too.

What I meant to say (previously a non sequitur): In my case, because I am reacting to Gelatin (albeit mildly), I doubt that I could eat "specifically done meats". Poultry is a full blown anaphylaxis allergy and no matter how that chicken is fed or not fed, I still won't be able to eat it. I'm reacting by smell currently to all Avian.
____

Suggestion (also for Vegans/Raw Foodists and anyone who has had heart surgery):
B12: Get him tested now to check for B12 levels. Then, in 2 - 3 months, with Cereal or supplement that is fortified with B12 in his diet, get him retested to see how his B12 levels are. This is just to be sure that his body actually digest B12 in supplemental form. Nutritionist Yeast is also recommended addition to his diet, if he can have it. I do not remember if Fish contains B12 or not. However, not every body digests B12 from supplemental forms. And Nutritionist Yeast does not contain large enough amounts of B12 for those with B12 absorption issues.
http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/vegansources Very informative information about B12! Highly recommended as I found a Raw Foodist whose body was not digesting B12 very well from Supplements. She also had heart surgery, so can't get the B12 shots.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

Last edited by Allergic_Vegetarian on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:32 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
Oh, I never thanked you Space Canada.

Is Quinoa a grain? I have heard of it but never really looked into it?

Quinoa is from the Amaranth family. It comes from Africa and is very good with Lime and Cilantro. I react to it (tolerance so far), but its very healthy. There is even Quinoa noodles you can buy in the store. Some still put Amaranth in the goosefoot family, but because they have not found anyone allergic to the goosefoot family react to Amaranth, they are now putting it in its own category.

Nutritional Yeast: Be sure it's supplemented with B12 and is kept away from light.

As someone with an unusual amount of foods I can't eat, I do feel for you! However, there is a bright side, he isn't on elemental formula yet. I keep reminding me of this when I get depressed. Also, the Mustard family is good for fighting cancers and is considered a super food. Its also extremely popular in Vegan restaurants these days. I can't eat anything from this family any more, as too many members turns anaphylactic, but if he can, he will get plenty of good nutrition. I will concur with Space_Canada that Protein really isn't the issue. B12 is more of a concern though.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:42 am 

My dd complains about reacting to chicken, pork and beef. There are no visible signs of a reaction. She can and does eat chicken hotdogs, chicken soup, hamburgers, bacon bits, etc. my question is ... And I hate asking it is .. Is she really reacting or simply just doesn't want to eat meat. She's 11.

me -- no allergies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:31 pm 

Amy's Mom wrote:
My dd complains about reacting to chicken, pork and beef. There are no visible signs of a reaction. She can and does eat chicken hotdogs, chicken soup, hamburgers, bacon bits, etc. my question is ... And I hate asking it is .. Is she really reacting or simply just doesn't want to eat meat. She's 11.

Ask her how her tummy feels on a good day when she wants to eat chicken hotdogs and hamburgers. If her tummy feels sickish, then she might have only an intolerance. Take her near chickens and notice of her breathing is normal. Ask her if her chest hurts when she breathes in chicken feathers. If she does, then there is a higher chance that the poultry/meat might be only an intolerance, but would still be considered likely to turn into a full blown allergy like mines did. In my case, my reaction wasn't externally. I would have the chest pains, stomach aches but no sign of hives ever. As I continued to eat the chicken and beef, instead of just mild stomach aches from time to time, I started vomiting them up. At that time, I knew I had to quit eating it.

FYI:
Red Star brand Nutritionist Yeast is the number one brand that Raw Foodist and Vegans use for B12. Supplements are still recommended. Also, those who have had heart surgery or damage to the Ilium generally do not absorb B12 very well and, in the case of heart surgery, should not get the B12 shot (medical established fact that the shot can be lethal for heart patients). In this case, I'd attempt to add Salmon or Oysters to the diet depending on which is better tolerated. These are highest sources of B12 without eating Meats or Poultry. Oyster's have an extremely high amount of B12. Salmon has 7mcg of B12 (or more) if I remember correctly. I eat Salmon once a month, and eat fortified cereals and Soy Milk. My B12 levels are fine. (Just tested). [I did do some research and it is official that Oysters and Salmon does indeed contain good amounts of B12. Oysters does contain an insanely high amount of B12. ]