You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:20 pm 

Hi everyone,

I have scoured the internet looking for a bread machine recipe that is free of wheat, dairy, eggs and soy (oh and nuts as well) and have tried a couple (that I had to modify) only to have them fail miserably.

If anyone out there has such a recipe, or any suggestions, I would be SO GRATEFUL.

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:54 am 

Hmm, we eat wheat, so the closest thing I have is a half spelt/half whole wheat bread flour recipe with no eggs, no dairy. Sorry I'm not of more help.

I think all commercial breads we buy also have soy as well as wheat. I wonder if a rice bakery would have something suitable? What city are you in?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:47 am 

Danak, Nice to "meet you" on line. I don't have a wheat free recipe, but there are potato breads as well. Might want to search for those. Did you check the wheat allergy or celiac section? There are specialty stores specficially for those dealing with celiac, but the problem is often the other foods they include (eggs, nuts, etc.) If I come across anything, I will post it for you! Sorry you're having to deal with so many food issues with your son!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:31 pm 

Hi Julie and Alison's Mom!

Thanks for responding and for the suggestions :) My little guy's not big on potatoes but I supposed sweet potatoes could work for a bread as well... I'll look into that, it's a good idea! :)

I've struggled to find a bakery here in Calgary, AB that eliminates all my son's allergens... But I'm always on the lookout! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:16 am 

Do you know how to convert conventional recipes into bread machine recipes? If so, I have a recipe that is gluten, dairy, egg, soy, and most other allergen-free for fluffy bread that stays fresh on the counter. I'm the author of a cookbook (and I don't want this to come across as promoting it), but the recipe itself for one of the breads is available as a free sample. Unfortunately, they don't use bread machines, though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:05 am 

Hi laurie15!

I don't know how to convert a traditional bread recipe to a breadmaker recipe but I am certainly willing to have a go at making some bread without the breadmaker :)

How do I go about getting my hands on your recipe?

Thanks so much in advance... :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:51 am 

Hi danak!

I hope it is okay if I write my website (http://www.theallergyfreecook.com). There are four sample recipes from my book. The Wholesome Flax Bread is an everyday soft, whole grain, and nutritious sandwich bread. If it isn't okay and I have to delete my site I will pm you the recipe.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

I'd suggest checking out the breads on the Gluten-Free Goddess's site.

She sometimes contributes to AL, and has wonderful recipes, free of gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, and usually free of nuts too.

See: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2 ... bread.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:14 pm 

Laurie15 - thanks so much for the link to your website. The flax bread recipe looks great, the only ingredient on there that I know my son can't eat is the bean flour (he has allergic reactions to beans)... do you think if I just omit the bean flour and use another flour (like rice flour maybe?) it will still turn out ok?

And gwentheeditor - thanks for pointing me to the Gluten-Free Goddess website... I have seen that one before, a long time ago, and didn't think to look there again recently! I will definitely check it out.

I'd just like to say again how much I love this forum :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:39 pm 

danak - I would use a high protein flour, like quinoa flour, for the best consistency. In fact, I only make it with quinoa flour now.