Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

So how did the family gatherings go?

I only had one close call: soy flour in a store-bought Christmas cake. Fortunately, as always, politely but firmly asked to see label – despite assurances by a relative that - no, no, no, there's definitely no soy in that. She thought she'd read the label: there were a lot of ingreds, and she missed it.

No biggie, but it could have been. So glad I asked!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:11 pm 

Had family from out of province for Christmas. It went well as I didn't allow any food/shampoo/candy /lotions anything which could go on or in DS. By cooked for everyone I controlled all food, more work but then 100% safe. All other visits I've made the same rule no food but still candy and other foods were being brought (some containing allergens) ...this time I made it CRYSTAL clear and everyone followed the rules. :banana A huge break through with my dad, he came down after shaving in a panic and said that it never occurred to him to read the ingredients and he looked and his shaving cream contained sunflower oil...was that a problem. :happydance Not a problem but YEAH for him to think to read the ingredients and tell me asap.

Hope everyone else had a safe happyholiday.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:25 am 

Thats great to hear BC :happydance

I had one close call but I had planned ahead (brought my own food as backup in case I decided it just wasn't safe) and was able to avoid the allergens with the help of my sister and mom. They ate the food I couldn't and made sure it was nowhere near my food. I know my extended family tried their best it will just take some time for them to fully understand.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:45 am 

Glad it was just a close call Sarah - whew!!! How much planning and forethought we put into every event really is amazing eh! But by planning for all the 'what if's' it sure makes things safer and go more smoothly if as you found food isn't safe.

I still have company for another day and although the food is safe for DS - by us doing all the cooking - I find myself groaning every time there is another meal to make or baking to do. I keep pinching myself reminding myself to be grateful as this way the visit is a safe one and it is worth all the extra work of 5 more people.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:59 am 

I had a call from someone prior to their visit askingif they could bring home made fruit cake. I asked if she put the almonds in it....she said no because she doesn't like almonds. She put brazil nuts in instead. I said thanks but no thanks. She said "but their all ground up, you won't even notice them" . Ya! OK! let's play "hide the allergen". This is someone I thought "got it".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:37 am 

AnnaMarie wrote:
I had a call from someone prior to their visit askingif they could bring home made fruit cake. I asked if she put the almonds in it....she said no because she doesn't like almonds. She put brazil nuts in instead. I said thanks but no thanks. She said "but their all ground up, you won't even notice them" . Ya! OK! let's play "hide the allergen". This is someone I thought "got it".

It's no wonder this adventure is exhausting when we have to explain the allergies and May Contains and cross contamination over and over.

My in-laws get :thumbsup AND :banana ! My mother-in-law changed her stuffing so it would be safe --- this took much negotiation... One of my sister-in-law's omitted an ingredient so her shortbread would be safe (she usually puts a nut with them) and very glad she did as they were amazing! My new brother-in-law made two batches of his cookies - one that was safe and in a marked container for my daughter :happydance . My sister-in-law called ahead with the candy cane ingredients since the cane would be on its own with the gift. My other brother-in-law brought the ingredients for his dip but unfortunately not the crackers but it's a start. My mother-in-law also bought Chapman's which was nice since we usually bring it.

Guess I was worrying about all of it because I had a dream about it where someone sent us a box full of gifts and when opened the first one it had nuts in it :( . It was very realistic.

On the way to the family dinner we needed to buy antihistamine (forgot there would be a real Christmas tree) --- while rushing to get back in the car, the kids took my purse into the back and some items fell out. We didn't check the car floor and the next morning I saw one of our epi-pens... It was below freezing that night but turns out it expired in September :oops:. Glad that we had more than 1 epi with us!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:36 pm 

After a very bad incident just before Christmas and a very firm education session my by husband to them, our Christmas went fairly well. My mother-in-law was reading labels and only bought things that said they were made in a nut-free facility - yay!! She even denied some crackers someone else brought because they weren't a known safe brand and they couldn't call to find out if they were safe. I was pleasantly in shock about the quick turn-around (compared to the bad incident a few days before) and thanked her very much for their consideration and attention to detail.

Another in-law wasn't so nice to me though... she made dessert and was upset when I didn't try any of it. I mentioned that cocoa isn't always safe and without reading labels, and determining there was no cross-contamination I cannot eat it. She was still upset, but I know that if she went home and read her (large Fry's) cocoa container it would say 'may contain' so hopefully she realised that.

My side of the family went well too. There were treats with nuts in them but I was told to stay away from them and they made a separate plate of treats for me from the nut-free bakery in town. My husband accidentally ate something on the other treat tray that had nuts in it (he didn't see any nuts in that item at first) and he let me know not to kiss him that night. Oh well... at least he knew what to do to keep me safe.

Overall, I think it went really well. More and more people 'get it' and are making little changes to make safe items available. I still had to make a lot of my own food and treats and things, and I had a lot of anxiety over the whole thing, as I always do when I eat away from home, but in the end it all went well.