You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: safe cocoa powder?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:04 pm 

Ok so my husband went to Zehrs later on this morning and he found the Fry's Cocoa which was safe. He said the one with the "may contaibns" is made in one facility and the one at Zehrs is made by cadburys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:37 pm 

Where I live, the large containers of Fry's have warnings but the smaller ones don't. We avoid them and use Hershey's instead. (It saves us the confusion.)

Last edited by spacecanada on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:11 pm 

We use the small container of fry's ...the larger container in the grocery store as well as the huge container at Costco all have pn/tn warnings. I did call and the smaller container is made in a pn/tn free facility. WAY to confuse people though and way to create a potential horrific situation!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:56 am 

Wow. Now Fry's is really confusing me. I was in shoppers and they had the small can of fry's cocoa and it had a big red band around the top saying new allergy info, this small canister said may contain milk. I brought this small canister as the previous small canister I had of frys said may contain wheat and therefor could no longer use it.

Its very strange how where you shop each small canister of fry's has different allergy warnings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:55 pm 

I think this is a case where the company will label if there is a chance of cross contamination, so check the label every time. So far for us, the small one has always been safe. I will make sure to check the label every time in future though, and buy Hersheys if available.

I think Guardian Angel also has safe cocoa powder.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:39 pm 

Adding to the confusion...I went to buy some Fry's today, have been sticking with the small container but they were out of stock. Picked up a big one, and the only allergy warning now is dairy (use to have a peanut warning). I brought it home, but am still suspicious of it....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:40 pm 

I noticed this, too, the last time I was buying Fry's. Makes it confusing, but at least we know if we check the label *every time* we are safe!

Vermont Nut Free and Guardian Angel have safe cocoa powders, too, for those who are confused by Fry's!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:10 am 

I buy Hershey's cocoa at Save-On Foods. I even send it in care packages to my peanut-allergic daughter who is away at university. She does all her own baking.She has found it hard to locate in Victoria.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:18 pm 

Does anyone know where I can find some dairy free, nut free cocoa?I live in Ontario (the west end of the GTA) and I can't find cocoa anywhere! We went to make some cookies and realized we were out of cocoa. When I went to the store, I saw Fry's has a warning on it now and other brands that I saw do to. We've been to about 10 stores and it's the same thing with every store. DS' second birthday is in 3 weeks and I need some cocoa! I'll be making an order from Ange Guardian, but where can I get some in the meantime?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:16 pm 

Hi Jenna,
I felt so disappointed when I saw that red band around the fry's cocoa :cry:

I've ordered the cocoa from guardian angel foods but when I was at zehr's this weekend I noticed a brand (I think it was PC) in a tin container. There were no warnings listed on the label. As well, at another grocery store I found "Compliments" brand which also didn't list any allergens. I didn't buy either (since I've stocked on the guardian angel) so I didn't make any phone calls.

On a baking note, the Decadent chocolate chips are no longer safe and I've bought the enjoy life brand but we find them too sweet. Does anyone have a dairy, egg, nut-free brand of chocolate chips that they buy in Ontario?

boys' mom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:32 pm 

Cocoa powder - We use Hershey's brand. No warnings at all and when I called it was safe for peanut, tree nut, egg, and dairy - maybe soy too but I never asked.

Chocolate chips - No Nuttin' has some 70% dark chocolate ships that are excellent but expensive to buy. Their semi-sweet chips are good to. We find them at the local health food store. We also find Enjoy Life too sweet but we still buy them from our food coop because thy are cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:31 pm 

It is really frustrating that PC changed their packaging of the decadent chocolate chips. They have been a real staple for us for 10 years! I bought Enjoy Life but they only sell mini chips and the mega chunks. The PC chips were a good size. I have order some through Guardian Angel but they were expensive.

As for cocoa, I contacted Metro about their store brand cocoa, Selection, and it is okay for nuts and milk. It looks like there are many affordable options for cocoa.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:16 pm 

Honestly, I haven't actually tasted the Enjoy Life chocolate chips, so I didn't know that they tasted too sweet. My son LOVES them. Now I know why.

Someone recommended Hershey's cocoaI can't find it anywhere. I have found so many other brands, but every single one had a warning about dairy or nuts. I thought I was going to cry! I just ordered a bunch of containers of cocoa from Guardian Angel. It's frustrating to pay $4.99 for such a small amount and then the shipping.

katec, I didn't know that Selection was safe. Good to know! We have a Metro not far, so I'm going to get some ASAP.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

Here is an update December 11, 2012 on Merit's Selection brand cocoa powder:
Quote:
Called their customer care agent at 1866-595-5554 (open M-F 0830-1630) option 4 customer care, option 8 speak to an agent. Listed allergies ("All of that?" he asked, rather incredulously). After a few moments on hold, came back with:

peanuts, treenuts: not in product, line, nor facility (good!)
milk/dairy: not in product or line, but is in facility (unsure)
soy, eggs and shellfish: not in product or line (good enough)
gelatin, kiwi and legumes: checking with vendor (appreciate effort to call back).

update: there is no gelatin or kiwi in the facility, but there are legumes on the line.

http://allergypartner.blogspot.ca/2012/ ... owder.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:28 pm 

I went to Metro to buy some of their cocoa powder (Selection brand) and noticed that the container was a different colour and size. The ingredients list "cocoa" and nothing else. I called the company and they said that there are no peanuts, tree nuts or eggs on line (and I think in the facility) but milk is on the line. I asked if there are any cleaning procedures used before this product was made - she couldn't answer this question - I guess I need to call back after the holidays when there is actually a representative available.
Wouldn't the company have to place a "may contain" warning if there were possibilities of milk contamination?
What other brands of cocoa to you all buy? I live in the GTA and have never found any Hershey's cocoa at any grocery store nearby.
Anyway - Happy New Year everyone!!! May the new year bring health and happiness to you and your family!

boys' mom