Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:25 am 

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/03 ... allergies/
Quote:
Dr. Ben-Shoshan and colleagues estimate that about 1.6% of school-age children suffer from peanut allergies alone. In their most acute form they and other food reactions can cause potentially fatal anaphylactic shock, which has prompted strong measures in some schools and other public facilities to protect those at risk.
I totally screwed this post up! :oops The above is how I wish it read and the following is the way it is written
Quote:
Dr. Ben-Shoshan and colleagues estimate that about 1.6% of school-age children suffer from peanut allergies alone. In their most acute form they and other food reactions can cause potentially fatal anaphylactic shock, which has prompted strong measures in schools and other public facilities to protect those at risk.

.....the difference is the word SOME.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

Last edited by alberta advocate on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:46 pm 

My education level did not change between the birth of my first and second child. The first has multiple allergies, food, environment and animal. The second has none!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:40 pm 

walooet wrote:
My education level did not change between the birth of my first and second child. The first has multiple allergies, food, environment and animal. The second has none!
:huggy walooet! :lol: and btw....I am so far beyond caring why.....I just want people to "get" this and another thing while I am here....although peanut allergies are deadly....many other allergies are too.

I can't say it enough.....EDUCATION & AWARENESS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

Can't say I needed more persuading that the hygiene hypothesis is real and a key factor in the onset of allergy. Rather a lot of evidence before this study.

The immigrant comparison, however, is interesting and newer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:10 pm 

Always hoping to hear about a scientist discovering the gene that predisposes someone to allergies... And how to "cure" it!

My first child went to daycare much longer and preschools. My second child had little daycare and no preschool. That would imply my first child was exposed to more germs etc. She is the one with the allergies! My child who was home more has none.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:05 pm 

walooet wrote:
Always hoping to hear about a scientist discovering the gene that predisposes someone to allergies... And how to "cure" it!
Oooooh, that gene, I'm pretty sure it is in DD's make-up..her dad reacted when he was younger....when he moved out of his mom and dad's he just ate an omelette and was ok. :freak and according to his mom (a nurse) he reacted badly. And speaking of his mom, I don't think you could get her to eat an egg for million of dollars...it just would not happen....she bakes with them, (although, I'm not really sure if she eats any of it before Grampa gobbles it up :) Both DH & I come from very small families so it is very hard to go back in his medical history, but this is something that I have thought about.

Ok....I am just gonna say this too..... I think that in the past...alot of babies died from this and it was thought to be caused by something else. Looking back, when DD was reacting as an infant and early toddler....I thought she was choking, or baby stuffiness or just sick....and something else, we lived way out in the country, my husband was away working for weeks at a time.....and although I had friends with kids, we had not had a baby around in our family for 27 years and I think Dh's younger brother by 13 months was the last in his family as well. I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't really know much about babies in the first place....well...they don't come with manuals.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:42 pm 

gwentheeditor wrote:
Can't say I needed more persuading that the hygiene hypothesis is real and a key factor in the onset of allergy. Rather a lot of evidence before this study.

The immigrant comparison, however, is interesting and newer.

I think the hygiene hypothesis goes way beyond clean home and antibacterial hand cleaners. I think it also includes vaccinations. Not trying to start a debate about vaccinarions, I do support them. But, as we are vaccinated against more and more diseases, our immune systems have nothing to do. Aren't allergies an over-reaction of our immune system? I remember reading an article that described it as our immune system's way of preserving itself.