You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:27 pm 

Hi, I was retested two days ago after my health declined sharply. After 6 infections and having every single tool thrown at my asthma without a hint of relief I was retested for food allergies. I was already well aware of my Egg, Soy and Tuna allergies and had still been having serious problems with formerly safe foods. This last batch of testing was positive for Wheat, Yeast and Beef. It feels like everything I touch or want is poison. I know there is light at the end of the tunnel but right now i'm having a hard time finding it.
My toddler has asthma too and a three month long double ear infection that won't quit.... He sees the Allergist tomorrow because his whole little body is itchy and scaled with eczema. I can't help feel responsible as I'm the itchy allergic parent even though I know its just the way it goes.
Phew. It feels better just *saying* that 'out-loud'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:43 pm 

Welcome, Crunchy-mama! You'll find lots of help, advice, and support here.

Sorry to hear you are overwhelmed - it's normal to feel that way. For now, try to stick to plain whole (unprocessed) foods and make everything yourself. Making safe and simple foods will both help the residual symptoms go away and give you a little safety zone where you can feel comfortable and regain your strength (mentally and physically).

Best of luck to your little guy as well - hopefully he will feel better soon.

Take it easy, poke around this website a bit, and feel free to ask any questions you may have!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:53 pm 

Crunchy-mama wrote:
My toddler has asthma too and a three month long double ear infection that won't quit.... He sees the Allergist tomorrow because his whole little body is itchy and scaled with eczema. I can't help feel responsible as I'm the itchy allergic parent even though I know its just the way it goes.
:huggy so happy you found this forum....and I hate "momma guilt" there is so much of that with this....and totally not right but I "get" that. Try to focus on all the good things you are and do.....and now you are on the road to answers!!! YEAH!!!

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:15 pm 

Crunchy-mama wrote:

Especially to people who get it! :huggy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Ask your Allergist about bleach baths for your sons eczema. It may sound counter-intuitive but it can help deal with a chronic staph infection.
Sorry your asthma is acting up, is there a trigger affeting you and your son? I hope you can get on top of it.
Sometimes our bodies are overwhelmed and everything seems to act up. Try to get back tot he basics, nothing too fancy. Surround yourself with known safe items and destress and hopefully your body will stop reacting so strongly.
Good luck! If all else fails, hang out here where we can offer you support or a least a place to vent! :huggy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
It feels like everything I touch or want is poison.

Know that feeling and send :huggy .

I'm one of many on this Forum who "grew into" food allergies (and then more of them again) as an adult. The first period is always the worst.

What helps you find that light at the end of the tunnel is that the fact that there really are many foods, even when so many are suddenly off limits. Once you've rid your immune system of your newly discovered "poison," things will start to look up and you'll be happier to at least know what you've got to avoid.

But that's then and this is now and the adjustment does feel topsy-turvy. So take it slow, and glad you've come here to talk with those who get it. It does help.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:59 pm 

Thanks. I really needed the support and just reading these posts has made me feel better.
My immuno work up came back good so that was a relief. On to the Allergist again monday.
Also I made some rice/quinoa/amaranth spaghetti with lamb and oat meatballs. very nice.
Im getting there.... :) Loads of really helpful and encouraging things to learn here

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Mmm, that sounds good.

Especially since we haven't eaten yet. :oops

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:17 am 

Glad you found us. My kids both have allergies, but the genetics appear to have come from both sides of the family, so I don't feel as guilty.

Good luck with finding answers. I know how frustrating it must be. I felt so incredibly overwhelmed when dd was first diagnosed with the peanut allergy. It did get easier with time, though, and the help and support of people on this forum. Hugs to you and your family.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:34 pm 

It took us a while to adjust to our "New Normal". Now, the only time it is really a pain is travelling. We know our safe restaurants and what foods to buy. It definitely remains frustrating but we just learned to adjust...