You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:26 pm 

Global News Edmonton this evening on Health Matters (early news) 5:23 pm there was a report on hemocode tests available at Rexall Stores to the tune of $450.00 (your benefits may cover cost) and results back in ten days. Takes between 1-5 minutes and 3-5 droplets of blood.

I can't post it yet as it has not hit their website yet...but will when it is.

Did not like the report as it said the difference between a food allergy and a food intolerance basically comes down to reaction time....

I wish that they would have mentioned the fact that an allergy can kill within minutes.

anyway...i googled and found this http://www.hemocode.com/Press/Latest_Press_Release.html
and this http://www.hemocode.com/

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:25 pm 

That sounds pretty interesting. Have you tried the test? Having it available at Rexall is pretty convenient.

The clip is online now if you're interested: http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/video/h ... th+matters

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:26 pm 

:thanksign for posting the clip coffee81. I forgot all about it, and Global Ed. is my fav. news. The noon guy Shay G is the funniest...esp when he puts his own 2 cents in. My mom & I used to just wait for him to say something he just couldn't hold in. I love when we get to see the personal side of news people.

I have not tried the test and not planning on it, but I think this would be a great problem solver to some peoples ailments.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:56 pm 

Very interesting. Talk about free publicity. These are similar folks who tried to sell me on the idea of promoting this to my patients. Of course, the food panel I was to promote only covered 96 foods, and only cost about $300 to the patient (with me getting a cut of the profits
- I was to buy the kits, and administer them to the patients, then send in the samples for testing. The results would then be sent to me to discuss with the patient, where I would then probably promote all kinds of useless supplements to help people "overcome" their new-found intolerance. No thanks.)
This is nothing more than IgG testing. The doctor was a naturopath. It's not hard to find info on the scam that is IgG testing, and that is why allergists don't use it. I asked one of our allergists about it, and he had a hard time holding his laughter. I also read an article (maybe in Allergic Living? Not sure where?) and the journalist went and had the testing done at 4 or 5 different places, and came back with a different list of foods to avoid each time.

Imagine how many people are going to needlessly avoid foods because of this? All while the pharmacist and naturopath line their pockets?

I'm ashamed that a pharmacist is part of this. There's a REASON allergists don't use this type of testing. But allergies are prime-time business for snake-oil salesmen. Reminds me of the piece that CTV news did on NAET.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:08 pm 

:thanksign for that input, Momtobunches. I had concerns about that as well, but you expressed my thoughts (I just didn't know what it was that was bugging me, I thought I was being weird about the hockey relationship - but now that you mention this more it reminds me of something Lyle Olberg (Ab politician?) was in? not sure.... note to self...must follow up.

:oops sorry for the run on sentences...it's how my mind works. :freak :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:46 am 

Another report on Global News Health Matters tonite regarding additional services @ Rexall & controversy (dermal analyser, measuring blood pressure, lung capacity as well as food intolerance tests). Guess there are concerns about what good if any....interest topic...not on the website as of this post.

also checked out the reminder of former mla Dr.L Oberg, it was this wikipedia
Quote:
On June 2, 2010 Oberg opened C2DNA in Edmonton, the first private DNA testing facility in Canada. He founded the lab with his brother and other investors.
http://www.c2dna.com/ I think this is different.
Quote:
In May 1999, Dr. Oberg was appointed Minister of Learning, a post he held until November 2004. During that time, he also served as a member of Treasury Board and as the Minister responsible for immigration. Dr. Oberg was an active member of the Canadian Ministers of Education and led the Canadian delegation to an International Group of Eight (G8) Education Ministers meeting. He oversaw the creation of Alberta’s Commission on Learning and implemented many of its recommendations, including the reduction of provincial class sizes. He began the second language initiative in Alberta schools to give students an edge in the world marketplace and initiated the development of the daily physical activity program to improve the health of Alberta students.
& now
Quote:
On March 1, 2011, Oberg announced that he was joining the right-wing Wildrose Alliance Party. He said he would not be running for office but would participate in an advisory role to party leader Danielle Smith. He cited the conservative government's decision to abolish the multiple health districts in Alberta and replace them with an Edmonton based super board, and the recently announced deficit budget, the fourth in as many years, as his reason for the switch.
and here I am back at the political business again.... :roll: I think it is weird that I find this all interesting...the politics I mean.