You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Pet foods at school!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:37 am 

I talked about this with my friends but wanted to share here as it is a perfect example of how easy as slip up is. Our school is truly exceptional when it comes to allergies, they go above and beyond in every way, they actually want to be as inclusive as possible (and if there is something they don't think of and I need to bring it up they listen and make changes).

Well as I've been staying to volunteer at school (not in DS' classroom but elsewhere in the school) I am in an out of other rooms all the time. Monday I'm waiting for my 'reading' friends and went into the classroom to say hi to everyone after the Christmas break. I stop to look at the hamster when my allergy mom brain does an auto scan of the cage. Beep beep beep, my radar warning bell goes off and lazer locks on peanuts. No, can't be, no WAY. So as if I'm insane I look away look back, I lean closer, I actually stood there leaning in staring at this food bowl thinking this is NOT possible, whole peanuts, in their brown skin. I was muttering, are those peanuts, can't be, I think it's a peanut. A little boy walked over, Mrs. * , were you talking to me! No, just talking to myself thinking - what other foods look just like a peanut, nope, has to be peanuts.
There are even pn allergic kids IN this class, (31 kids in our school have epi's). So I go and get the teacher in charge of anaphylaxis and she is like NO WAY, can't be possible. Well it turns out that the teacher of that room took the critter home for the holidays and gave the ok for her kids to feed trail mix to the hamster, which she forgot about and brought it back to school . :frightened She was horrified and felt just awful...the thing is. Even if the food had been removed before returning the critter the cross contamination ................ Anyway, just reminds us to always be aware that there is always a chance for trace, be vigilant, remind our little ones to wash hands, don't touch their face....

They took over, cage cleaning etc.. I just sighed as this re-ininstillled why I am there helping and why we can never stop being vigilant.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject: Re: Pet foods at school!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:01 pm 

:frightened Wow, good thing you were there to see this!! Some pet food also contains peanut butter, so it's important for pet owners to be aware of this too.

I love animals, and growing up, we had a cat and a dog, and I just love being around animals. However, pets around animal allergic children is not great... my kids school currently has a pet hamster in art class, and my son's small Montessori school used to have several pet hamsters and fish. It's not really great to have animals in a school setting for those allergic to animals. And it is possible to be allergic to hamsters, and fish eat food that contains fish, so my son was never able to feed the fish at school... something he longed to do. I totally understand the wonderful benefits to being around animals, but I wish the schools did not have pets at the school. Just my personal opinion.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:53 pm 

Happy you caught that. Love that description of your "super" alertness. :lol:

In my old hometown, the public middle school had a zoo. Yes, a zoo. right in the school. It apparently was a huge hit...I never saw it and it was destroyed in a fire (all animals were saved) prior to our having kids in school. http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/lifestyl ... obile=true
Quote:
“The tarantula has been badly maligned,” lamented Alfred von Hollen. He should know. Ever since a fateful day at a National Science Teachers’ Association conference in Atlanta in 1978, Mr. von Hollen had taken a special interest in all exotic animals. His interest had grown into to licensed zoo in his classroom in Rocky Mountain House’s Pioneer School. Mr. von Hollen taught Grade 7 Life Sciences and he believed his zoo of 150 creatures was a vital part of his course.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:37 pm 

Quote:
I totally understand the wonderful benefits to being around animals, but I wish the schools did not have pets at the school. Just my personal opinion.
My opinion also!!!! Every time I see this critter I think of DS as he gets older, there is no way I'd let an animal be in his classroom. Good grief there was even a day when we had to keep the door closed as each child came out to read with me because this hamster escaped (all I could think of was icky trace and fur all over).

And Alberta... :rofl I don't mean to laugh but zoo!!!!!!!! Goodness! Aside from allergies, asthma... that makes me :scratchy . :rofl

I am not sure if I want to say sorry or yeah that it burned down (disclaimer: of course now that all the animals got out safely). :lol:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:06 am 

Good save BC!!

In grade 1 there was a rabbit in the classroom in a huge stinky cage. With hindsight I don't think it is coincidence that my child's allergies worsened that year. :oops