You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Dairy Intolerance
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:26 am 

I've posted a few times before in the asthma and allergies sections. I've been diagnosed with a dairy allergy by a doctor who didn't to do a skin prick test (and refused to). My sons are both allergic to cats one is allergic to horses. They both have asthma.

I suspect my allergy may actually be an intolerance to cows milk protien(s) and I also suspect my older son has the same intolerance since he has the same symptoms when he is eating dairy products (his skin prick came out negative as did a Celiac Screen). I'm pretty sure we do not have lactose intolerance since I react to many foods that those with LI wouldn't and we have no family history. My Google searches don't turn up much on this intolerance and the long term effects of eating dairy with this type of intolerance. They just compare it with dairy allergy and go on to speak about the allergy.

I don't feel that doctors take this intolerance seriously, but it sure feels like it should be taken more seriously (similar to Gluten Intolerance). My current doctor has started to do skin prick testing in her office, so I may ask her to do the test on me to confirm allergy or not. Does anyone have any information on dairy intolerance or know where I might find some? Does anyone have a similar issue?

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

Post subject: Re: Dairy Intolerance
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:03 pm 

Soooo, more on this, and I'm really looking for resources or information. I also need a bit of a vent...

I've tested negative for lactose intolerance and scratch tests came back negative for casien, milk and cheese as well as egg, yeast and a couple of others at the allergist. I'm really at a loss because I know from experience what to avoid, but not sure what exactly I'm avoiding. Being an analytical type, the more information I have, the better and I can modify my diet as needed. Everyone says, "just avoid dairy" but, not being allergic and actually able to tolerate some dairy, it can be difficult.

Everything I've found for casien intolerance or cow's milk protein intolerance comes back with a CD site or naturopath site, so there really is no information. I suspect no studies have been done on this. I'm really frustrated because I feel as if I have to self diagnose my problem and it won't be taken seriously since I don't have an allergy and casien intolerance doesn't seem to be a credible diagnosis. I also don't know if I am doing damage that could make me very sick later in life.

Any ideas or resources would be very helpful!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hiebs wrote:
Being an analytical type, the more information I have, the better and I can modify my diet as needed
:huggy Lol, you're a lot like me!

As you know, lactose is a sugar and lactose intolerance means that you lack the enzyme to break this sugar down.
Allergies are reactions to the protein present in a food (except for cold induced etc). Cows milk has many different proteins. So you might not be allergic to a specific casein, but you might be allergic to another one or a whey protein.

Here is just a bit of info to get you started...
http://www.food-info.net/uk/qa/qa-fp1.htm

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:37 pm 

Thanks Susan! That definitely gives me something to get started on.