You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:07 pm 

Hi all! Just wondering if anyone has tested their reactions to allergies. I have tried eating things with small amounts of black pepper mixed in (it's nearly impossible to not too at some point) and usually just get puffy lips and gums etc. If I keep 'testing' the waters so to speak am I more likely to develop anaphylaxis at some point? I have a myriad of new adult allergies (so annoying, i hate it!) of which most are completely avoidable. This black pepper allergy is just unavoidable and I'm having a hard time adjusting to eliminating food because it. I'm willing to be puffy sometimes but if it's going to progress i may take a more guarded approach. My allergist didn't really specify the severity, just to avoid it.

Allergic to shellfish, sulfa meds, black & bell pepper, pointsettias, every tree, weed, dust mite, feather, pet & mold tested for. Food & med allergies are adult on-set. Suffered from asthma & env/outdoor allergies since childhood.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Meg wrote:
My allergist didn't really specify the severity, just to avoid it.

Meg, I understand that you find it difficult to avoid pepper bt it can be done. eating small amounts of your allergen to see if it truly elicits a reaction is called an oral challenge. This is normally done under medical supervision. To do it the way you are describing is Russian Roulette.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:42 pm 

I also have adult onset food allergies and intolerances. I have separated the two, and will not challenge any of the allergies: fish, seafood, all nuts, dairy, gluten intolerant. The foods I have re-introduced are what were called a secondary reaction from a birch tree allergy: carrots, celery, some other assorted veggies which still have to be cooked thoroughly. This was after many years of being off of them and only the size of a pea to start. I wouldn't dare try anything that made my throat or mouth swell and that also was my recommendation from my doctor. Believe me I know how bland food tastes, I was so happy when I added celery and green onion to my food. I also find I tolerate the organics better too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:28 am 

loumac - thank you for outlining your reintroduction of some foods. We are going to the Allergist this week and that is something that I wanted to talk with her about for my daughter who is allergic to birch and reacts to all fresh fruits and vegetables. She has successfully eaten some cooked fruits now :happydance (pear, banana and blueberries) and she did have fresh pears a few times but then was reacting. To be able to have cooked celery and cooked carrots would open up a lot of foods for us! Best of all would be my daughter's favourite: Grandma's stuffing :swing

I know that personally from some fruits I have some mild itching in my mouth during pollen season and I just stop eating but am fine other times.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:45 am 

I developed allergies when I was in my twenties. At first they were an embarrassement and an inconvenience. My face would go blotchy, red, and swell.

It stayed that way for years and I was actually told they would never become anaphylactic.

But they did.

Your reactions are lips and gums...that's awfully close to your throat. My reactions were mostly my forehead, back, and legs. Until they were suddenly inside. Internal organs swelled. Blood pressure dropped.

think of allergies like a pregnancy. Nobody is "a little bit" pregnant. Nobody is "a little bit" allergic.

Avoid processed foods. Do as much cooking yourself as possible, and pay attention to what is IN any mixed spices you use. And remember, any processed food that lists "spices" or "flavors" (real or artificial) could have your allergen in them. Start calling companies and asking for specifics.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

loumac-What you are describing sounds like Oral Allergy Syndrome.

http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... ble-about/

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:05 pm 

Yes I believe that is what it is, Oral allergy syndrome. I found an excellent allergist in Toronto back in 2001 who recommended boiling everthing and suggested "less allergic foods" for me to try. She was a blessing for me at the time. Also wanted to mention that I have found that eating baby food was a good way to introduce things too. I'm good with babyfood pear, peas, summer squash & only the organics.

Also it is seasonal, I too find that during the spring (allergy season) I have more difficulty with certain foods.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:21 pm 

Please be careful Meg, and please have an epipen with you at all times.