You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:17 am 

Good evening, all.

As I've written elsewhere, my 4 y.o. DD has had two severe allergic reactions (also, a few milder ones). Several rounds of skin scratch tests have been negative, most recently to peanut, mixed nuts, sesame and egg, and she's recently eaten sesame and egg and been fine. So she's been tentatively diagnosed with idiopathic allergy. (Essentially, we don't know yet. For now, we're to consider her not allergic, but be watchful and have her carry an Epipen at all times.)

Tonight, she had an allergic reaction -- not severe enough to go to the E.R. or inject, however. I'd have given her an Epi if I saw signs of anaphylaxis, but Benadryl was sufficient. She's asleep now, and I'm watching over her. No swelling or hives, and she's breathing well. No progression of symptoms = good.

We're in detective mode now. She brought challah home from preschool and ate that after school at 3 pm. For supper, she had pizza, along with a brand of not from concentrate apple juice she's never had before. Then, chocolate pudding. She's had the pizza and the pudding brands before. The symptoms began right after supper, so I'm less focused on the challah. But one never knows.

Now, the juice is an interesting suspect. It's produced on a line shared with other juices. One of DD's severe reactions was to an all-natural, chewable children's multivitamin that contained a number of fruit extracts. I can't help but wonder.

To quote Ko-Ko in The Mikado, "I've got a little list." In my case, it has four foods on it. Now, to narrow the list down.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:41 am 

We have a child at the clinic I work at who has an iodopathic anaphylaxis diagnosis to 'something' in heron multivitamin. they think its one of the fruit extracts in the flavour but have not been able to reproduce it in a clinical setting.
Its horrible not knowing the cause of allergic reactions-we went through lots and lots of spt's and in patient food challenges before we found out the things that had caused anaphylaxis for my son.

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:17 pm 

Hi, caz. That really must have been beyond frustrating for you and your family when you didn't yet know what your son's allergens were.

The tricky part for us is the balancing act between being watchful and having her wear an Epibelt, and not considering her allergic so as not to "pathologize" her. After consulting with her allergist, we've been advised to tell her she might have an allergy, so she's wearing her Epibelt "just in case".

I'd rather have an answer, but the bottom line is that she has the Epi on her, and we have a protocol in place, so that will have to be sufficient for now.

If I may ask, where are you in Australia? I recently read that Melbourne has high allergy and asthma prevalence.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:26 am 

We are just outside Melbourne=-just outside geelong which has one of the asthma 'hot spots' in the country (its sort of in a valley and has very high levels of asthma)=we moved to the 'country' but unfortunately it seems ot have triggered all these recent allergies-we live across the road from barley, wheat, pea and canola crops and there seems to be a cross reactivity with his rye grass allergy.
. Yes Melboune has been shown recently via the 'health nuts study' to have extremely high levels of 'real' allergies (5000 one year olds were spt'd-randomly- and then those with +ve results challenged to the food and they found overall 10% have food challenge proven food allergy)

It was horrible when we didnt know what he was allergic to...our worst period was over 6 weeks when he had 20 episodes of lip swelling after eating foods that he had always eaten-it was horrible...it was almost like when the antihistamine had worn off the next bout was happening....happy to say that the last 6 months have been fantastic-we live near barley crops and they have just been harvested with no flair ups...the last epipsode was a few weeks ago when he had watermelon and his lips and fingers swelled-but prior to that it was probably 4-5 months-for us thats HUGE!!

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:18 pm 

Now I know I have mentioned this on the board some place but 10 yrs ago when my ds was 4 he had head to toe hive (the kind that are raised so he looked like a burn victim). By the time we got to the allergist office he was having reactions for nine months. I could find no correlation between what he was eating or doing and the following reaction. He had not had any reaction before this but with having allergies my self I thought for sure this is what we were looking at. In the end the allergist found no allergy problem.

Move ahead 10 years to this past September and he had a reaction that even startled me. When I woke him up for school his mouth was swollen, and I mean SWOLLEN. It happened three times in the fall. He never had an issue with breathing or any swelling in the mouth. We did go to emergency and with his appearance we never even had to wait we were rushed right in. Three shots of epi and a weeks worth of prednizone.

I was told we had a 24 month wait to see the allergist!!! In any case we managed to get in last month.

I understand that most children that they can have a couple days of hives and NEVER have them apear again. Now since my ds had them for months (9) he is showing that he has a system that has particular issue with this. His case is (from what I understand) Not Allergies. It , I will say, will piggy back its way into the system when one has a virus or has been unwell. So you may never see it again or can be seen more frequently. So since his appointment he has had one more reaction and the plan of action 40 mg of reactine a day. It worked.

Now I know this may not mean anything in your case but I don't think this is very common.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:14 am 

paige-that must have been awful with all that happening. Joels allergies are spt proven with food challenge anaphylaxis (throat and tongue swelling with hypotension) though-no doubt that they are related to those foods when he eats them.
His random lip swellings still happen but to a much lesser degree than previously-he tests positive to so many foods on spt without allergic reaction on challenge that we only really worry about the ones that cause anaphylaxis-the ones we know about now came about from nearly a years worth of food challenges from the time he was having reactions all the time.
Its good knowing finally what to avoid!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:01 pm 

It is so good to finally hear "what" it is that is causing a reaction. I did request an epi from the GP first day. It was through the person at the front desk. I told her I wanted the doc to write a prescription for an epi :freak :banghead
What she had said to me was so rediculous I don't really remember it but something like "well you know they are for a rash don't you!!!"
I thought, and you work in the doc office. :dungetit

Just gimmy the epi. I (and the doc) will decide if he needs it. Thank you verry much.

I feel sooooooo lucky to have gotten in to see Allergist/Immunologist so quickly. Four months is quick over nine months when he was four I thought was long. To hear people are waiting 24 months to see the allergist is just wrong.

I am glad that you know what the cause of reaction is, not knowing is harder than knowing.