You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:30 pm 

With the temperature below -30 this week, I've been thinking a lot about our upcoming trip to Florida and Caribbean cruise in May. And then I thought about EpiPens... how many should I bring with me? I normally carry around two at all times. Will that be enough? And how do you keep EpiPens cool in hot tropical weather?

My only concern is that if something happens and they accidentally get too hot or wet or something and I cannot get replacements from a pharmacy right away. Am I being too paranoid here?

The two EpiPens I have now expire at the end of March and will be replaced with two new ones. Should I bring the expired ones with me in case something like this happens? I could get a prescription to bring more EpiPens with me.

What do you do for trips and holidays?

(There may have been a nightmare that lead me to make this post... :freak )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:41 pm 

I get ya with the weather, -30's this week here also and some fun in the sun sounds perfect about now.
I would bring all 4, the 2 new ones as well as the 'almost' expired one. If one gets lost, damaged etc. that still leaves you 3. Just two would make me nervous as you might actually need 2 in an emergency....and then you don't have one for after the fact. (knock on wood that won't happen).
Have a WONDERFUL trip!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 pm 

Regarding keeping the Epipens from getting too hot, we will wrap the Epipens well in a towel (a nice thick one), and then put them in a lunch bag with a cooler pack. This has been our approach, but I don't know that it is exactly "recommended". We use this technique if we are going to be out for many many hours on a hot day excursion. I wonder if you can ask a pharmacist for a recommended solution to this?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:16 am 

We usually take 4 with us. I would check with the cruise ship to find out if they stock them. If not then I would take more than 4 since if you need to use 2 then you would want to replenish.

This got to be a long thread but many ideas in here about keeping epi-pens the right temperature and also dry: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4456

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:05 am 

We go camping where its not uncommon to have days on end of >109F temps (theres no power etc). We use a Frio wallet and find they keep the epipens really cool without freezing them-they were originally made for insulin storage-they we have the smaller version to this and it fits 2 epipens-older ones- http://www.allergyfacts.org.au/online-store?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=59&category_id=8
have fun on your holiday!

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:39 pm 

Just noticed another waterproof carrier: http://www.onespotallergy.com/Waterproo ... sa0030.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm 

Thank you for all the replies thus far! We have a waterproof Pelican box for at the beach or in the water, so I'm not concerned with getting them wet so much as what would happen if I needed a replacement.

I will check into the Frio wallets - see if we can get them in Canada without paying shipping from Australia. I normally carry a backpack (which stays cool inside) and am always looking for more options.

I have e-mailed Disney Cruise Line to see if they stock EpiPens (or other adrenalin/epinephrine auto-injectors) in their onboard pharmacy. I will let you know what they say. My biggest concern is being out in the middle of the sea with no EpiPens because I either used them or accidentally ruined or lost them. (I am VERY careful with them... but still...)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:27 pm 

Julie we do a similar thing in the summer as temps are extremely high here also. I use a mini hard cooler pack but don't let the epi touch it. I wrap it so it stays cool but won't freeze.

If they do stock epi's be sure to ask if they are good or if they frequently check to be sure they aren't expired!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:45 pm 

I agree about taking 4incl the recently (or about to)expired ones. We have two kids with allergies and always take 8 with us on plane rides and trips. We have three long flights to australia coming up including a 14hr one mainly over water, so am contemplating also taking a few recently expired ones in addition to our usual 8.

It seems it would be smart for the cruise line to keep a few epipens in their pharmacy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:53 pm 

remember this? viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6420&hilit=bc+ferries

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:25 pm 

Spacecanada have you found the frio wallets available for purchase here? I don't usually worry about my epi getting cold but often worry about it getting hot. I also just started to look into getting some cover to keep epi cool. The frio looks like it might just be the perfect thing. If they can only be ordered and there is a shipping charge PM me as I think we may be in the same area ??? we could place an order together share shipping charge.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:59 pm 

Frio just wrote me back with their Canadian Distributor:

Diabetes Express Inc.
Retail Enquiries
775 The Queensway, Unit B
Etobicoke , Ontario , M8Z 1N1
Tel: 416-603-9727
Toll Free: 1-866-418-3392
www.diabetesexpress.ca
Customer.service@diabetesexpress.ca

I will be contacting them to see which size would be best for two of the new EpiPens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:56 pm 

Inside measurements of the Frio are: (from www.friouk.com; not sure if this is before or after the gel expands, so I'll presume before)

Individual Pen Wallet = 65mm x 180mm (2.5" x 7") -> 1 Twinject or 1 EpiPen
Duo Pen Wallet = 83mm x 180mm (3.25" x 7") -> 2 or 3 Twinject or 1 EpiPen
Large Wallet = 140mm x 180mm (5.5" x 7") -> multiple Twinject or 2 or 3 EpiPens
Extra Large Wallet = 155mm x 210mm (6" x 8.25") -> multiples

They are meant to be used for insulin pens; EpiPens are much larger than insulin pens and Twinjects are fairly similar in size.

With EpiPens measuring: (according to my ruler)
15.6 cm long x 3.4 cm wide x 2.6 cm deep (including the hard EpiPen case)
(6.25" x 1.375" x 1")

And Twinject pens measuring: (according to their website)
15 cm long x 1.5 cm diameter (plus the hard Twinject case, which makes it slightly bigger)
(6" x 0.75" plus the case)

Those are my thoughts. I'll be ordering a large for 2 EpiPens and I'll have some room to add Benadryl in there as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:24 pm 

The response from Disney Cruise Line is that they have EpiPens in the medical centre for emergency use but cannot distribute/sell them to guests. They require guests to bring a "liberal amount" of any medication they need during their trip.

I'll be bringing 4 Epis now, definitely! (For this cruise and any others I take in the future.)

Good to know they have Epis in their medical centre, just in case.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:10 pm 

alberta advocate wrote:
and will they administer?

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy