You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:36 pm 

I was in the food court at Gloucester Centre thinking that some fast food would be safe. I checked A&W first since we have such good luck with Wendy's and MacDonald's. When I asked what their allergy policy was, she said they don't have one. Then I asked her if they have any tree nuts on site and she handed me a 30-odd page "nutritional information" document to read. I re-asked, saying I just wanted to know if there were any tree nuts on site, and she told me that we was "not allowed" to answer that question and I had to read the document.

Well, with 2 little ones waiting for lunch, I certainly didn't have time to do that. So, we didn't eat there. I was very surprised by the response.

I turned to the Subway and discussed tree nuts with the manager there. The only thing there that could have been a problem might have been the cookies, so we avoided them. He also told me that while everything is baked in the same oven, the bread uses different pans to the cookies, so I felt ok with that. Then he made the preparers change gloves before preparing our sandwiches. I know there was still a small change of cross-contamination, but I felt that he at least did everything he could.

It turned out well. The kids enjoyed their sandwiches and everyone made it home safe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:47 pm 

Good to know. I have been told by subway 'no guarantees because of the cookies' too, but glad your experience went well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:01 pm 

It really does depend on the allergy, doesn't it? No subway for my DD, too risky with her known severity with egg...but the rest of us sure like them when we are out and about with out her.

We have gotten that same response from many places, yet others are so helpful...yet the same company...so there ya go....that is why allergies must be discussed every time and everywhere.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy