You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Dare Almond Cookies?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:43 pm 

I don't walk through the cookie aisle very often, but yesterday was one of those days and I came across Dare ALMOND cookies with 'pure almond extract' on the ingredient list and then their 'baked in a nut free/peanut free facility' disclaimer. :frightened We wouldn't buy them anyway, but red flags were raised in my head - contradicting information; could this mean the facility really isn't nut-free? I've sent an e-mail to Dare for clarification. If their extract isn't actually from almonds, they should state that on the package to prevent such confusion. :scratchy

http://www.darefoods.com/Flavour.aspx?id=9&lang=en

I'll let you now what Dare says.

Post subject: Re: Dare Almond Cookies?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:34 pm 

WOW :frightened . I really can't believe this. I checked out their website, and the ingredients make no sense at all! Here's the link:

http://www.darefoods.com/Flavour.aspx?id=9&lang=en

If the ingredient list is correct, this is NOT safe! Pure almond extract?? If they've made a mistake, this will have to be reported the the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:22 pm 

:frightened Please post what you find out.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:54 am 

I looked into this a few years ago, and found (NOT through dare) that pure almond extract is often extracted from peach pits. I still avoid those cookies (although we use to eat them without issue) but trust the other simple pleasures ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:47 pm 

spacecanada wrote:
I'll let you now what Dare says.

Any info back from Dare?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:01 pm 

walooet wrote:
Any info back from Dare?

Not yet. I have been too busy at work to call them during business hours. I'll try to call them by tomorrow.

Edit: I called today and left a message with the concerning details. I hope they'll call me back!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:04 pm 

Completely understand life getting in the way! :thumbsup Thanks for following up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:58 pm 

Got a voice mail from Dare - they say their almond extract is heavily processed and that no proteins remain. And since proteins cause allergic reactions, they're calling it safe.

I haven't decided if I want to call them back to request better labelling or not. I can imagine they get calls about this quite often.

Can't say I'll be buying Dare Simple Pleasures (any flavour) any time soon... not that I buy cookies anyway - it's far too fun to make them at home.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

But...is it still a peanut/tree nut free facility? :scratchy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:25 pm 

I think some more investigation needs to be done. Anyone here with more experience on the matter care to call? I don't think I am asking the right questions. Or post a list of questions here and I'll gladly call and find out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:32 pm 

Quote:
they say their almond extract is heavily processed and that no proteins remain. And since proteins cause allergic reactions, they're calling it safe.

woulda shoulda shouldbe... Hm, if I had one in my hand even if it declared safe I really wonder if I could let DS eat it....I might think about it but I don't think I would.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:19 pm 

I *finally* got an e-mail response from Dare. It echoes what Becky said earlier:

Thank you for contacting Dare Foods Consumer Response regarding the Almond Simple Pleasure cookies.

The almond extract used is made from apricot pits, which have the same flavour compounds as almond oil. There is no actual Almond proteins in this product.

Thank you again for your inquiry and we hope you will continue to enjoy Dare Foods products.

I have e-mailed them back to request this be made clear on the packaging to prevent further confusion. I can't be the only one who has called them on this! If they don't comply, couldn't it be a CFIA labelling issue? Saying something is what it isn't?

I also wonder if apricot and/or peach pits would be in the same nut family as almonds? (Oh, why does my brain over think things so much??)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

According to the (CFIA)Canadian Food Inspection Agency's Guide to Food Labelling and Advertising > Chapter 4
Quote:
4.12 True, Real, Genuine
Terms such as "true", "real", "genuine" and the like should be used with care. Such terms should not be used to describe foods or ingredients which are imitations or substitutes, nor should they be used in a manner which suggests that any product is an exclusively true, real or genuine article
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/labeti/guide/ch4ae.shtml

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:11 pm 

Thank you, Susan. I have written an e-mail to the CFIA. I don't know if they can do anything, but the idea of almond cookies made in a nut-free facility, whether or not the extract contains nuts, doesn't sit well with me. Just imagine if someone brought these cookies to a party as a 'safe' snack (per the label). What would people say? Especially if it was outside call centre hours. We shouldn't have questionable 'nutty' ingredients on things that say they are nut and peanut free.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

:thumbsup