Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:11 pm 

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/30/422482 ... utism.html
Quote:
"We found that NAET is an effective, safe and simple treatment for children with allergy-related autism," said board certified internist Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, the lead author of the study.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
NAET clashes with the concepts of anatomy, physiology, pathology, physics, and allergy accepted by the scientific community. The story of its "discovery" is highly implausible. Its core diagnostic approach -- muscle testing for "allergies" -- is senseless and is virtually certain to diagnose nonexistent problems. Its recommendations for dietary restrictions based on nonexistent food allergies are likely to place the patient at great risk for nutrient deficiency, and, in the case of children, at risk for social problems and the development of eating disorders. I believe that practitioners who use NAET have such poor judgment that they should not be permitted to remain licensed. If you encounter a practitioner who relies on the strategies described in this article, please ask the state attorney general to investigate.

http://www.chirobase.org/06DD/naet.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:45 pm 

Thank you Susan! NAET is pure bunk. These kids did not have food allergies diagnosed by an allergist, and many parents of kids on the spectrum are led to believe that their kids are allergic (wheat-free, casein-free diet is a common treatment) when they are not. I have a friend who is one of those parents. He never had any sx of a food allergy when he was suddenly diagnosed. She now lets him have cheeses, but still restricts him from drinking milk. Many of them are diagnosed with the IgG testing which is not an accepted type of testing.

I think of it as a fake treatment for non-existent allergies, and have heard NAET practitioners describe it as eliminating allergies from the mind. Alberta Advocate, I think you posted a link not long ago with an article from a local paper where they were describing allergy sufferers as succumbing to a type of hysteria which was the real cause of the reaction? I can't remember where I read that one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:51 pm 

Haha - just clicked on the link to the Globe article about picky eaters vs food allergies, and one of the commenters is describing NAET! It's the comment from olintsmith.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Thank you Susan! NAET is pure bunk.

You said it! :thumbsup