You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:16 pm 

I know it's subjective and I can't identify what it's like to be allergic to fish. I can only speak from the experience of being a mom to peanut/nut-allergic boy. However, I really hate to see this become a competition for which allergen should get priority, whether it is on TV, in schools, hospitals, etc. We are all in this together and raising allergy awareness is a long process. Every battle we win is another drop in the bucket... for the common good of allergic people everywhere. If we start battling among ourselves on what is fair and unfair, we are never going to make any progress.

It hurts me too to see these peanut references on children's shows. It also hurts me when I read or hear about people not wanting to give up eating peanuts or nuts in public places. I love fish and I eat it several times a week but I wouldn't complain for a second if I couldn't eat fish in public. In fact, I never do.

Anyway, the point is not merely about banning foods. It's about raising awareness and being conscious of responsible TV programming, advertising, schools, airlines, etc. It's about better labelling laws, allergy-aware restaurants and food stores, etc... It's about providing a better quality of life for allergic individuals and the people close to them.

There are always going to be special circumstances... the exceptions. But if there is better allergy awareness, people would be more understanding and would be more accommodating. I hope that no child will ever feel excluded from activities ever again. We can't change the past or dwell on painful memories. We must move ahead. Raising awareness is teaching people to understand the issue and to be sensitive to special needs.

There have been many changes on how minorities are portrayed in the media. Children's shows now include the disabled, racial minorities, etc. Progress has definitely been made on this front.

We have to start somewhere. It's 9 priority allergens now... maybe that number will increase. United we stand, divided we fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:16 pm 

I know my point comes out pretty strong, but the allergy awareness that everyone is raising all the time as reached my patience's limit as peanuts allergy is the only one out there! Awareness should be raised about allergies as a whole and not just peanut allergies all the time!!!!! :evil: There are others out there that have to live with allergies even if it's not peanuts and many times when I talk to parents of peanut and nut allergic children, I do feel for them don't get me wrong, but they seem to want to make the whole world peanut free :evil: . Every time I talk about allergies everyone jumps to the peanut allergy and everytime I explain my allergies I have to compare it to peanut allergy!

I have to admit that allergies is a touchy subject these days for me...

Mylène, allergic to fish, milk and carrots... as well as many other things, but not peanuts or nuts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:18 pm 

Believe me mylene, I know where you are coming from on the peanut allergy thing. My oldest daughter will have access to a peanut free school, where my little one will not have access to school free of her allergens (milk/egg/chicken). I know that she will be around her allergens in the school environment, and my oldest will not be in that situation and yes, it is frustrating that it is treated so differently. However, the peanut one tends to take less exposure and tends to be more severe. I was advised by my allergist to make the house peanut/nut free, but that milk/egg/chicken was a family decision and that they are more managable, and that cross contamination would probably require more exposure than with nuts, and would not escalate into as serious a situation. Cross contamination proved to be too easily done, and we removed all allergens completely.

That said, the exposure that peanuts are getting in the news, and as a whole, must be looked at that it is the one food that is "paving the way" for the rest of them to be recognized as potentially life threatening allergens. Peanut allergies in schools and in the news are beginning to make "anaphylaxis" a more commonly recognized word, which more and more people are beginning to understand. Yes, I too have to compare my daughters milk/egg/chicken allergies to peanuts, but I just look at it as an opportunity to inform people that there are more foods in this world that can cause severe reactions other than just peanuts.

Honestly, any awareness that allergies get ( even if it is not your specific food ) helps inform others about what people with allergies have to deal with.

I raised the issue of peanuts/milk/eggs because they are the most common facing young kids, and the most common of the top 9 that kids are being told to eat by their favorite characters. These characters don't seem to be promoting soy, fish, shellfish, wheat (specifically, they show breads but a child could interpret that as rice bread) in the same way. They are not specifically saying "eat soy because it is good for you". They are saying "drink milk, eat peanut butter because it is good for you" , which for a lot of kids with allergies, contradicts what their parents are trying so desperately to teach them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:51 pm 

I understand that it must be incredibly frustrating when people only seem to know about nuts and peanuts. Meanwhile, the very real issue that you deal with every single day seems to be cast aside. It's interesting how we perceive things when they affect us so personally. I find that people are NOT aware of allergies... period. They think it's only a rash and some swelling. They can't understand that trace amounts of allergens could kill. That's my frustration.

I don't support a out-and-out ban of any food BUT I do wholeheartedly support banning allergenic foods from elementary schools and children's sports/recreational activities. In my opinion, peanuts and nuts are high on the list of foods to be banned. Peanut butter sticks to everything. Lots of snacks contains nuts and peanuts. Nuts and peanuts are small and roll away quite easily. To me, this is an obvious danger. I also think that if the school has enough students with an allergy to another food, it should be banned. Children with allergies to nuts and peanuts seem to be in higher numbers.

I would love it if high schools and universities banned peanuts and nuts but I know this is not realistic. My son has to learn to live with this. But high schools and universities are for older children. My concern about banning nuts and peanuts is in elementary schools. Children as young as 4 years old attend school. Are they really able to make their own decisions about what they should and shouldn't eat? Can they be counted on to disinfect their hands and environment? No, because they are still learning... not only about their allergies but about life in general. No parent wants to let their child enter an unsafe zone. We place a lot of trust in teachers, principals, etc. A ban on peanuts and nuts is necessary.

Every time I read a statement or someone talks about not wanting to give up eating nuts and peanuts, it's like I am getting stabbed in the heart. I would never tell people what to eat in their own homes but I expect (or hope) for a little consideration and understanding when it comes to the safety of others. Parents who say that a peanut ban is ridiculous and that their child has the right to eat peanut butter at school would change their minds in a heartbeat if it was one of their kids with the deadly allergy.

I haven't read any posts in this forum that call for an out-and-out ban of nuts and peanuts. I dream of a world without war, disease and suffering... but I know it's not realistic. I dream of a nut/peanut-free world... that's just as unrealistic. I think the posts that deal with banning relate specifically to children (schools, etc). I don't think we are moving towards a peanut/nut-free world but we are moving towards better awareness. To me, that's the key.

And to bring the discussion back to peanut and nut references in children's shows... I think that, just as with any important issue, the message should be to educate. Barney wants to eat a peanut butter sandwich or sing about it on a show?? OK but perhaps mentioning that some kids are allergic would serve to raise awareness and make the allergic viewers feel acknowledged. But I agree with the original post in this thread. Why are nuts and peanuts considered to be so much fun?? Very young children equate fun with peanuts and nuts and are made to feel "left out" when they watch things like this.

Surely there are other things besides food that can entertain children?? Society is too focused on food anyway. TV writers want something healthy and fun? Talk about sports!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:15 am 

All food should be ban and we should take pills.

Seriously, I don't think Peanuts/nuts should be more banned than any other allergens. I always said that in school, you should ban all things that could kill other kids. Would you allow arsenic in a school? Guns? No. Then you should also ban allergens.

Mylène, I'll have my people call your people and we'll set up a meeting for the transfer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:25 am 

Ever wonder why we live in such a fat society? Food is equated with EVERYTHING. Allergies aside - I think that's ridiculous.

Get depressed - eat a tub of ice-cream. Every celebration requires food. Learning math? Count smarties or M&M's. Watch tv and it's not just the commercials, but also the shows are so food oriented. I think it's ridiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:04 am 

I would also like to add that food is consumed everywhere young children go, by other kids who run around get it everywhere, and will get it on you. I asked a mom at a childrens festival not to let her son threaten to wipe his icecream cone on my milk allergic daughter. But, honestly he should not be wiping it on anyone. There does not seem to be the respect for not wiping food on others, and not making a mess of it in public places...primarily in places kids go. My doctors office has a "no food or drinks" policy, but I have seen many young children try to eat and run around anyways. At least the nurse enforces it. Its not just allergies...it is messy.

At my daughters dance class kids eat in the waiting area, run around, drop it on the floor, get it on the toys...where are the manners and the respect for keeping the place clean aside from allergies?

At home my kids eat, and wash their hands before running around. I do not wish to follow them around cleaning the house after them, and I don't let them eat in public. There seems no respect in public places. So, yes food bans of all foods should be there in public places so kids can not eat it and get it everywhere. Personally I do not want to sit on some kids snack, whether or not my kids are allergic.

And yes, food all the time, everwhere, for every reason is rediculous. People constantly use it to "entertain" their kids in public.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:12 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
Ever wonder why we live in such a fat society? Food is equated with EVERYTHING. Allergies aside - I think that's ridiculous.

Get depressed - eat a tub of ice-cream. Every celebration requires food. Learning math? Count smarties or M&M's. Watch tv and it's not just the commercials, but also the shows are so food oriented. I think it's ridiculous.

"RI-DI-CU-LOUS!"

Okay, if I'm the only who knows where this comes from, I guess I'm too geeky for this place. :p

BTW, I agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:24 am 

I totally aggree with the person who said "United we stand, divided we fall".

I think as the "allergic" community, we should be focussing on the fact that the first food allergic death was 1969, and now 5% (really? ohmigod!) of our kids have anaphylaxis. We nned to focus on the anaphylaxis, not the food, and work for the good of all with anaphylaxis.

I know from experience that if I say "ban" people get all upset, but if I say "allergy awareness" everyone thinks its a great, reasonable idea, even though I am asking for the same things. In fact, if I say "ban" the whole discussion goes sideways, but if i say "allergy aware" everyone seems eager to help me and my kid. I haven't figured out why, but if it works, it works.

We are all in this together, we have to help each other!

Peace, love, joy...yada,yada,yada

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:21 pm 

I also cringe when PB is mentioned on a kids show or in a song. Same goes for safe foods (such as some cereals) when the recipe on the back has peanuts, with pics of them cascading out of a snack bowl or the like. shudder.