You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:26 pm 

Hi,

I have been encountering this so much lately. Today I went to Whole Foods and noticed two packages of open almonds and pestachio nuts for people to sample. When I approached the store manager regarding the cross contamination issues but said he would bring it up with grocery. I told him not only for me but what about children getting into it. He said that it shouldn't be at children height. It was at children hight and easily accessable for a child. I said that I realize that they sell nuts but having samples might not be a wise idea as opposed to closed packages where people can purchase and bring them home to eat. He really didn't seem that concerned but did offer gloves at any time when in the store.

Also we had a worker in my home today and he had a hudge container of nuts, so I had to clean everything he touched and I have no idea if I cleaned well enough or what the procedure is but I nearly used a whole roll of paper towels and Nature Clean spray with my gloves.

I also was in a business recently to inquire about the tiles the above person was installing and the lady behind the counter had nuts as a snack. When I inquired as to if they had a procedure in place (like washing hands after eating) she became extremely hostile.

We can't avoid every place but don't want to risk a deadly situation either. What on earth are we supposed to do?

Allergic to all nuts, seafood and fish.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:23 pm 

I have had the same concern about free nuts in grocery stores and other locations. Most of the time I just avoid that area and wash my hands before I eat or touch my face.
If the person was in my own home I would tell them of my allergy and ask them not to eat them in my home and to go wash their hands.
In public I just leave the area. I don't usually ask others to stop eating unless I am unable to leave the area. When I am supplying at different schools I don't bother trying to explain it since I would have to do it every day. I just leave the staff room and eat somewhere else. I always wash my hands and wash the table before eating (I tend to get looks when I wash the table but I don't care!)

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:20 am 

I also tell people coming into my home that we are a nut-free home. I also offer them snacks just in case.

Unfortunately for grocery stores or other businesses I think it comes down to me deciding if I want to visit a store like that. Great idea to talk with them but if they continue to offer nuts then perhaps you have to decide if you will go there. :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:13 pm 

I see open nuts as well. I don't avoid shopping there, but when I'm preparing our fresh fruit and veggies at home, I wash them all with soap and water! I wasn't sure if the soap would contribute to the taste of the food, but it doesn't.... I just make sure I rinse very well. We also don't know if the person working in produce might have handled allergens in his/her lunch (we're dealing with more than just nuts), or if other shoppers may have touched allergens, so I just wash everything - even a cantelope! I figure, if I'm cutting on a board, and the produce might have been in contact with an allergen, we better be safe.

When we've had people work in our home, we ask that they not have food containing nuts, sesame seeds or sunflower seeds in our home. We have gone through some extensive renos in recent years, and ALL the contractors were extremely respectful of this. I always provided coffee/tea/pop and snacks in the afternoon and was very appreciative of the great work they were doing, so this helped with compliance in this area. In fact, they always ate outside in their vehicles (not that we requested this, but they knew how many foods our son was allergic to, and were respectful of this).

At school, our son sits next to other kids eating foods he is allergic to (except for nuts/peanuts), and as long as he is eating safely, and his desk is clean, and he eats on his wax paper and uses wipes, he's fine. In fact, he's never had a reaction at school! (ironically, his reactions only seem to occur when he's with us :? )

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:45 pm 

Loumac, I stand behind you on this also. There has to be SOME kind of common sense used with retailers. As you mentioned we can't control much but really, for her to eat nuts while serving you is just too much. Sure some people may eat nus on their break and not wash hands,we can't control that..but to actually be eating them while serving you...dangerous and um, since when was munching part of the customer service motto????

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish