You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Pasta
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:43 pm 

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find any egg free pasta that my son will eat. We tried rice pasta and he won't eat it. I don't know if it's the taste or texture, but he won't even touch it. I'm hoping someone can recommend a brand of whole wheat pasta that is safe to eat for those with his allergies. Everything I have found has a warning that it may contain egg.

TIA

Post subject: Re: Pasta
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Where do you live?

We purchase Y & Y brand egg-less chow mein noodles from Food Basics. They are made from wheat and cook just like ramen noodles.

We also make our own dough in the bread maker and crank it out on a pasta maker.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:03 pm 

Pasta is a tricky one... there are VERY few available. We use the one Susan mentioned as well as PC Organics spaghetti, rotini and penne.

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOnlin ... ctId=10725

It is not whole wheat, but I've noticed a brown rice version:

http://reviews.presidentschoice.ca/6584 ... eviews.htm

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Have you tried the Tinkyada rice pasta? Some people swear by it. Try rincing it in hot water after cooking.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:56 pm 

I didn't even think of the chow mein noodles. I'll have to give them a try. And I have no idea how I didn't see the PC Organics were safe. I'm not even sure I have seen them, but I'm going to find some ASAP.

Thanks ladies!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:17 pm 

Jenna, Just wanted to mention that the PC Organics pasta is found down the organics/alternate foods aisle at our local Real Canadian Superstore, NOT with the regular pasta! In your store, that might be the reason that you didn't spot it. I don't think the PC Organics spaghetti is the best pasta I've ever tasted, but in dealing with food allergies, we sometimes have to be happy with finding a safe product, even if it isn't our first choice.

Also wanted to mention that I was missing lasagna like crazy, and I've never found any safe lasagna noodles, until I tasted my mom's lasagna made with rice noodle pasta! It was absolutely amazing and I could not taste any difference, which completely surprised me. I use the Rizopia rice lasagna noodles, and I find cooking them first (even though you don't have to cook them) gave the best results. I was so happy to make lasagna again! In your case, you would have to use Daiya cheese substitute, so someone dealing with milk allergy would need to comment on the success of lasagna made with Daiya products. In our household, we are dealing with multiple food allergies and lactose intolerance (a very minor issue compared with food allergies!), but we have found many lactose free products, including a mozzarella cheese at Metro called "Irresistibles Bio". We use this when we make our lasagna and I just leave out the cottage cheese because I cannot find a lactose free version.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

Julie, I make a fake riccota using tofu, salt, oilive oil and nutmeg.
My lasagna recipe is in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1641

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:42 am 

Sorry no tips to offer Jenna, just wanted to say I hope you find some safe pasta. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:18 pm 

Thanks Julie! I completely forgot to check in the organics aisle. Which is odd since I'm there anyway picking up some Enjoy Life products. I made myself a note on my grocery list so hopefully I'll find them this weekend.

Thanks BC2007. Sometimes trying to find things he can eat and actually likes is trying!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:12 am 

Just read this post, and am going to answer Julie about dairy-free lasagna, which I just started doing the last couple of months.
I use the rizopia lasagna noodles as well, but didn't realize they would be better if you cooked them first, so thanks for that tip :D I thought they would be mushier. But cooking would make them easier to cut down to fit in the pan too!
So, I do use the daiya cheese for this lasagna. It took over a year and a half of dealing with food allergies to decide to try this. It is definitely not the same as lasagna made from real cheese, but it is good enough for me, since I really missed lasagna. It kind of tastes like I used processed cheese, I find that daiya almost resembles the processed cheese rather than the actual shredded cheese. So dairy free lasagna is definitely something to try if you want it, as long as you realize it won't be quite the same.
I even made chili lasagna with these noodles, using leftover chili in place of sauce. Next time I will make the chili a little more liquidy though, because the noodles didn't fully cook with the chili because it got dried out in the oven. But cooking the noodles first would help that too!!