You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Feb 2, 2012 Marty Beckerman posted on his blog Your Peanut-Allergic Kid is a Little Goddamn Sissy http://tinyurl.com/7d4eb65
Now, keep reading! I promise it gets better. :huggy

Marty Beckerman reflects on bullying and allergies. Wise cracking satirist eats his words. I guess he didn't realize that his post came at a time when parents of school aged children with FA's were swallowing their frustration over dealing with schools and room moms who want fun to be more important that inclusion... He conveniently gave them a target!
Follow up post http://tinyurl.com/76yxo9d

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:22 am 

Although I am glad that he wrote a response after receiving so much "hate mail" his original article is still out there. That attitude of hatred towards mostly children is disturbing.

I love to hear the stories of people who accommodate those with allergies but they of course don't get the same coverage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:15 pm 

How much publicity did his get before the fa community started posting and replying? Some of these negative articles would die away much faster if they didn't get dozens and dozens of replies from irate parents.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

AM ... except, the comments can be a form of educating.

Marty, the jerk, just takes to an extreme what so many people still believe: if we didn't have this when we were kids, why is there so much of it now? Ergo, must be all BS & helicopter parenting. :banghead

At least when this kind of crap gets written up, instead of tossed around at PTA meetings and dinner parties, the FA community can say: are you people for real? And here are the facts.

I appreciate that it's exhausting and maddening, and who wants to give clicks through to this stuff. But look at the Chatelaine example and this one. The response actually makes them stop in their tracks and listen - and, hallelujah, retract.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:00 am 

But it is a double edged sword.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:19 am 

I agree with you, AM. I mean this man was getting death threats. I think that is extreme and does not help our cause at all. Educating the ignorant? Yes, I am for that, however using guilt, threats, and being general unpleasant never gets anyone anywhere. Acting like that portrays the image of the over protective parent, which projects the wrong image to the general public.

In fact if everyone didn't blow up at this guy and just let it die, quietly he wouldn't of gotten any attention. Did I like what he write? No not really, although I did understand it was satire, poor satire but satire none the less.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:25 am 

The rationale that it didn't exist before is silly. AIDS didn't exist either. Cancer was not as prevalent when I was a child but it still exists. I can instantly name 3 parents at my kids school who died from cancer and 2 who are survivors. Just because it wasn't like that when I was a kid doesn't make it not exist... :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

When will they learn that they can get sooo many more "hits" by posting positive, informative articles?
:scratchy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb