You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:58 am 

This is so very sad, and just goes to show how very serious allergic reactions can be.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/1 ... 83526.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:30 am 

He survived a shooting and a kidnapping but died from an asthma attack or allergic reaction. That information alone should convey to millions of non-believers the severity of asthma and allergies.

"He was walking behind some horses – he's more allergic to those than anything else – and he had an asthma attack."

Do allergies bring on asthma? Or does an allergic reaction mimic an asthma attack? We do not deal with asthma and have no idea the connection.

My condolences to his family and friends.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:44 am 

I've always had allergies & asthma, and there is a correlation. Allergies can certainly trigger an attack (having a cold will also leave me more susceptible to having an asthma attack due to various triggers, even wind, or sudden changes of temp ie coming inside on a cold winters day). I am quite allergic to horses, but am an avid & regular rider, I have to be very careful to manage my asthma and allergies when I am around them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:14 am 

This is SO sad!! I feel so badly for his family!!

Regarding having an allergy to horses: in a recent visit to our son's allergist 3 weeks ago, she said that horses can be a particularly potent allergen for those allergic to horses - in some cases. (I had described our sons recent reaction at a horse stable which was the reason for our discussion.) We knew he had tested positive to horse allergy, but I never realised an allergy to animals can be this serious. This article is of great concern for those with allergies and asthma and keeping both under control and minimizing exposure to animals/environmental triggers. How challenging!!

This poor poor family having to deal with his early death. He sounds like he was a remarkable, courageous man.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:13 pm 

I am allergic to every mammal I have ever met but far and away horses are the worst. My allergic reaction includes coughing and bronchoconstriction making it very difficult to breathe. When people talk about their throat closing...that's me with horses. The thing with this type of allergy is that it is airborne so you can have a reaction without being in sight of your allergen.

I have actually eaten almonds (which I am allergic to) and had less of a reaction than I have had being in proximity but not touching a horse.

So sorry for the family.