You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: breakfast ideas
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:38 pm 

saskmommyof2 mentioned that she has been making hot cereals for breakfast lately--I believe she mentioned Red River cereal and Cream of Wheat. Hot cereals are about all I eat for breakfast (along with yogurt or Kefir with added cooked fruit or maple syrup), so here are some other ideas (I wish I could have Red River cereal and Cream of Wheat!--but both are out on account of the wheat)

I like Oak Manor Creamy Brown Rice Cereal, but with a coffee grinder, one can make hot cereal out of any grain. I'm partial to homemade cream of millet. Because of the oral allergy syndrome, I have to cook my fruit and I usually boil the water for the cereal, add fruit, let it cook for a bit, and then grind the grain du jour and stir it in. For some reason, I like apples with millet and pears with rice cereal. I always add cinnamon and/or allspice, sea salt, and sometimes sweetener (honey/ succanat/ maple syrup). If I add a bosc pear to rice cereal, it doesn't really need any extra sweetener.

I think I might have a slight problem with oats, but I eat them sometimes anyways. I *love* homemade granola. Here's a recipe I made up:

stir together:
*1 cup of oats
*1/3 cup of ground flaxseed (people can be allergic to flaxseeds, but Red River cereal has flaxseeds in it--I grind golden flaxseed in the coffee grinder)
*salt to taste
*a couple of tablespoons of rice syrup
*canola or safflower oil
* a touch of blackstrap molasses
*cinnamon and allspice

spread in a non stick pan (although I suppose one could cook the granola in an oven as well)
cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until crispy (but not burnt :) )

The reason I use rice syrup instead of honey or another sweetener is I have a theory that rice syrup burns less easily. Just a theory. Another idea would be to add the honey after cooking it.

I rarely measure anything, so I don't really know how much salt, oil, etc. to add---I just guess. Coconut is good with this recipe too--I rarely use coconut though because I buy it whole and it takes a lot of time to prepare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:16 pm 

Hey Lisa, I never said that I was only making hot cereal for breakfast! :D With fruit,and soy milk to drink, it makes a great lunch or supper when my carnivore husband is out of town! I say "if it is healthy, no one is allergic and the kids like it, it can be served any time of the day." :lol:

I found the instant oatmeal Shawna WC recommended. Quaker LIGHT apples and cinnamon, and maple and brown sugar ( I think those were the right flavors ) do not contain milk/egg/nuts. I did not buy any today because i have a lot of "from scratch" stuff in my cupboards right now, but those packets will be nice to use when traveling! Thanks.

Lisa, sorry to not include you in my promotion of wheat/soy filled products again.
I bought "Tonys Turbos". They look really healthy. They do not contain milk/eggs/nuts but do contain wheat and soy protein.

Also, I love to use molasses as a sweetener. It is really healthy. Although at the moment I seem to not recall why. I think that it is iron, but I am not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:08 pm 

Lisa, have you ever tried any "baby cereals". Toddler nutrios do not contain wheat. As well there are rice and barley cereals. Heinz makes the most basic ones (without added milk, added soy etc. ) I think that with some added fruit and spices they might be a nice breakfast for someone who can not have wheat. They also might be a nice, healthy addition to baking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:43 am 

Thanks for the suggestions. I recall seeing rice cereal before in the baby food section.....it seems to me that there was some reason why i didn't buy it....lecithin might be added or something. i'll take another look. i've never heard of toddler nutrios. sounds like a dry cereal, and i need one of those.

yes, molasses has iron....but blackstrap molasses more than the regular type. Blackstrap molasses actually has *a lot* of nutrients--it is good for people who are allergic to milk because it has tons of calcium...17% of one's daily recommended allowance (for adults) in just one tablespoon. it also has 20% d.r.a. iron; and is a good source of copper, maganese, potassium, vitamin B6, potassium, selenium, magnesium...

all this nutritinal info is found at:
http://www.%20nutritiondata.com

specifically at:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c21Ru.html

regular molasses has some nutrients, but not in the same concentration. i.e. 5% iron and 4% calcium in 1tbsp. (but maybe that would be all young children would need...I don't know how their nutritional needs compare to that of adults)

I found all this out during a phase when I was obsessed with researching nutrition---my allergist suggested that I needed to see a nutritionist but it didn't sound like I was going to be sent for awhile so I thought I'd better figure things out on my own after some additional allergens were added to the list.

I think I read somewhere that blackstrap molasses is more nutrient rich because it is from the bottom of the barrel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:49 am 

Heinz nutrios are like cheerios, but do not conatin wheat. My mom is intolerant to wheat and was eating them. I have not bought them lately, but last I checked they were wheat free, but they have since changed the package so hopefully the ingredients have not changed. They can be found in the baby food isle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:38 pm 

Actually, if you go to Heinz's website, they list all allergens for their cereals, and all of them contain wheat. Some also contain corn, soy and trace amounts of almond.

Here's the link to the allergen information:

http://www.heinzbaby.com/english/pdfs/I ... als_EN.pdf[url]

Dory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:01 pm 

I checked out the link because that shocked me about the wheat in nutrios. I noticed that the column that was "x" ed said wheat/gluten. So, is it gluten or wheat or both? From the ingredients list it does not show wheat in the nutrios, but oats which do contain gluten right? So was the box checked because of gluten, but the product is free of wheat? Worth a call to the company before anyone with a wheat allergy eats them.

As well the basic rice, barley, oats baby cereals have the "wheat/gluten" box "x"ed, but foods can be wheat free and still contain gluten from other grains right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:44 pm 

Quote:
Worth a call to the company before anyone with a wheat allergy eats them.

I thought so too, which is why I mentioned it. Yes, gluten could be present without wheat, but as you pointed out, saskmommyof2, the list doesn't specify whether it's wheat or just gluten in the cereals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:00 am 

Thanks for the heads up, Dory. there are so few manufactured foods I can eat these days! El Peto rice cereal (available at Specialty Foods at Sick Kids' in Toronto) is good for people who can't eat wheat (it's a hot cereal--basically ground rice)---I believe that it is 100% gluten free. They sell just the plain cereal + an apple-cinnamon flavoured kind that is really good with some added salt and sweetener (but it contains sulfites).

The Oak Manor organic brown rice cereal isn't guaranteed to be gluten free...although the company follows good manufacturing practices and thoroughly cleans its equipment after the wheat products go through. But they don't do the testing for gluten products. So it might not be suitable for people with celiac. I don't need to be so concerned about wheat contamination, so it is fine for me. I'm particularly happy that they do not manufacture andy products containing nuts. Of course, cream of rice cereal can be easily made with some rice and an inexpensive coffee grinder.