You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:40 pm 

I was speaking with DS today, and found out that yesterday in school they baked a 'friendship cake', and he couldn't have any (had something from his bag), it makes me so mad/sad. The teacher is usually good about letting me know about food activities, but missed this.

I know that I can't stop the surprise cupcakes kids bring in for various things, but when it's a SCHOOL/CLASS activity it seems even worse to exclude him.

I did send a letter in about it. My non allergy mom friends think 'it's no big deal, he's use to turning down food', but that's not the point.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:20 pm 

Becky that is unacceptable. The irony....their 'friendship' a cake actually represented exclusion, hurt feelings, sadness, anxiety over an unsafe classroom!!!!! What on earth does a cake have to do with anything anyway????? :banghead

What did they have your son do for the (I assume) hour it took the class to make/bake/decorate a cake???? How on earth did they clean the classroom to ensure no trace was billowed about from the ingredients when mixed, on hands, wiped onto clothes.

This makes me very angry. I am so sorry your DS was put into this position.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Your allergy friends don't get it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytEy0PWn ... ata_player

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:30 pm 

WOW!!! That brings back some memories! :( :evil: I know exactly how your child feels :( I'm sorry the teacher did this. I hope there is a response to your letter and something can be done next time the teacher thinks about doing something like this.
I don't understand what a cake has to do with friendship?

That video was very powerful! I have posted on my fb, I'm hoping some of my teacher friends see it and think twice before having food rewards. They have always questioned my "no food rewards" rule.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:28 pm 

That is just wrong! To exclude a 7 year old from a Friendship Cake?? What was the teacher thinking?

I spoke with a student teacher who will be graduating this spring about food allergies in the classroom. I asked what they are taught about managing health issues including food allergies. Response was: one class on inclusion but didn't sound like it was about health issues. I will ask her for more info.

I told her of the mission of many food allergy advocates to have Food-free classrooms and she was genuinely surprised because she said they are taught to use food to build community in the classroom.

She also said that they bring food to their university classes all the time. (I recall an education student on the forum who said this was a problem for her!)

She starts in our classroom next week and I will definitely talk with her about it - she was very receptive to the discussion. I think it needs to be addressed at the base level in Faculties of Education!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:47 pm 

walooet wrote:
That is just wrong! To exclude a 7 year old from a Friendship Cake?? What was the teacher thinking?

I spoke with a student teacher who will be graduating this spring about food allergies in the classroom. I asked what they are taught about managing health issues including food allergies. Response was: one class on inclusion but didn't sound like it was about health issues. I will ask her for more info.

I told her of the mission of many food allergy advocates to have Food-free classrooms and she was genuinely surprised because she said they are taught to use food to build community in the classroom.

She also said that they bring food to their university classes all the time. (I recall an education student on the forum who said this was a problem for her!)

She starts in our classroom next week and I will definitely talk with her about it - she was very receptive to the discussion. I think it needs to be addressed at the base level in Faculties of Education!

Walooet
It was the same in my B.Ed course! We were taught to use food as a reward to to bring the class together! I tried to explain the issue of allergies and exclusion of those with allergies but many didn't get it. I experienced exclusion from some activities in my classes bc of this and tried to show how it would affect our students but when you are going against what the professors and in some cases "experts" in education it's hard to disagree.

We were not taught about allergies at all in B. Ed. We are taught about inclusion of every other disability but allergies! We had a whole course on special education but concentrated on IEPs (Individualized Education Plans) and inclusion of those students but not allergies.

I hope this student teacher will understand and see our side of the problem. I would show that video posted to her, that was very powerful!

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:13 am 

Sarah388 wrote:
It was the same in my B.Ed course! We were taught to use food as a reward to to bring the class together! I tried to explain the issue of allergies and exclusion of those with allergies but many didn't get it. I experienced exclusion from some activities in my classes bc of this and tried to show how it would affect our students but when you are going against what the professors and in some cases "experts" in education it's hard to disagree.

We were not taught about allergies at all in B. Ed. We are taught about inclusion of every other disability but allergies! We had a whole course on special education but concentrated on IEPs (Individualized Education Plans) and inclusion of those students but not allergies.

Reading that it makes me realize how fortunate my child has been to have teachers that DO get it!

Of all the medical issues, food allergies is one that can be managed (no food in the classroom for activities or parties and good hygience) and yet also the most dangerous. With the latest stats being 1 in 25 students having food allergies the Faculties of Education must update their curriculum!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:15 am 

walooet wrote:
... (I recall an education student on the forum who said this was a problem for her!) ...

Sarah388 - that must have been you that I recalled from other posts on this forum :huggy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:45 am 
Site Admin

Clearly we have much to do to educate those who are teaching the future teachers!!! :banghead

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:50 am 

Walooet that may have been me-

I'm in teachers college right now and during my first semester people were constantly bringing in nuts. I mentioned it during the first week of school but people were not paying attention I guess. Also, apparently a lot of people had no clue that almonds were considered "nuts"... SERIOUSLY? :banghead
I left with hives and reactions more than a few times during the first month of school. I finally blew up one day and told everyone if they weren't going to respect my life to not bother communicating with me because clearly they don't respect me as a colleague/peer. I kind of went off but no one ever brought things in on purpose again. They actually come in many times with packages and ask me if they're safe.

In terms of my university we actually had a few classes dedicated to the anaphylaxis policy of each school board and we are taught to NOT use food as a reward and to try to keep it out of our future classrooms altogether. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:08 am 

ccarso wrote:
In terms of my university we actually had a few classes dedicated to the anaphylaxis policy of each school board and we are taught to NOT use food as a reward and to try to keep it out of our future classrooms altogether. :thumbsup

:goodidea And Ontario wins again for being proactive! Would you happen to have any links to course outline that would say that? I would like to share it with our provincial anaphylaxis support group :huggy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:15 am 

ccarso wrote:

ccarso
What university do you go to? I also went to an Ontario University but it sounds like our courses were very different

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:16 am 

It wasn't in our course online, this was the "Foundations and Legal Principles" course but the professor asked us all to research our specific school board's anaphylaxis policy and then see if our placement schools were following them (many weren't) so we compared the different boards' policies in class.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:17 am 

Sarah388 wrote:
ccarso wrote:

ccarso
What university do you go to? I also went to an Ontario University but it sounds like our courses were very different

Niagara University in Ontario

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:34 pm 

ccarso wrote:
It wasn't in our course online, this was the "Foundations and Legal Principles" course but the professor asked us all to research our specific school board's anaphylaxis policy and then see if our placement schools were following them (many weren't) so we compared the different boards' policies in class.

Would love to thank that Professor! What a brilliant subject.