You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Just a happy story
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:03 pm 

I was helping out at Hot Lunch today, and the discussion turned towards allergies. (Another user group was coming into the lunch room to set up a concession and they were selling Hershey's chocolate bars including PB cups and almond bars for kids in a basketball tournament! :oops) The kids were all Grade 6, and they weren't allowed to sell to the general school population, so I just suggested that they double check with each kid who buys one to make sure that there aren't any allergies on the team. But I digress...

Most of the helper Moms are new, so they didn't know about my son's allergies, and I don't routinely bring them up. One of the Moms was talking about her son - who is in my son's grade - coming home from school one day because as a new kid, he missed out on the Epi training that all the other kids got a few years ago (it was just last year). This upset him because there is a boy in his class who might need his help, and he felt he was the only one not equipped to do that!!! Then when we realized she was talking about MY son, and the training I had done for the kids last year, she started to cry and came over to hug me!!!

When I told her what he was allergic to, and how I've tried to ensure his safety without banning any of his foods from the class, she actually thanked me for helping teach the kids a lesson in community responsibility. She thinks it's wonderful how all the kids seem to want to watch out for him and protect him, without it being a huge worry for the parents. :happydance

As much as we see the "crazy" come out in comments on news articles, I think in reality, I've rarely encountered those types of people. I think most parents really are wanting to understand and be helpful.

Just made me feel good, and starts my weekend off on a happy note!

Post subject: Re: Just a happy story
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:23 pm 

:happydance Great story! Brings a tear to my eye too that, here she was, talking about YOUR son in such a caring manner. These caring people ARE out there, and it means so much when we encounter them. :huggy to all those caring people.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:29 pm 

What a nice story! :banana I truly believe most people are good-natured, and this helps reaffirm that. Your son is lucky to have such a caring family in his class. Thank you for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:57 pm 

:thanksign for sharing that story. Love the mom's compassion as well as the boy's concern for your son. Love it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:26 am 
Site Admin

:happydance There are truly good people in the world. We are privy to knowing it more so than most people.

It's just the vocal minority who post venomous comments!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:26 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:

It's just the vocal minority who post venomous comments!

I often think many of the nasty comments are people who just enjoy upsettng other people. They couldn't care less about allergies or food bans....but they enjoy trolling on the internet. I'm seeing it more and more on facebook too...not fa related.

~~~~

Momtobunches, great that a classmate cares. At the same age, a friend (not someone close, but our son's have been friends since kindie) told me her son had been VERY upset when walking home from school he got stung by a bee. He asked her what he's supposed to do if MY son got stung. He asked his mom to ask me to show him how to use the epi-pen. He felt better knowing what to do, and I made sure he knows if he gives it and my son doesn't need it....it's OK.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:47 pm 

Your story brought tears to my eyes also. THANK YOU for sharing!! The good stories really do outweigh the well, not so nice ones. :huggy :happydance

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish