You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Easter Pet Peeve
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:36 pm 

One of my biggest pet peeves around Easter is when usually safe chocolates come out with Easter eggs that are not safe!

I.E. Coffee Crisp eggs! I know I'm an adult and I read the labels on everything, but I always think that for a child they may think "Coffee Crisp is safe, so I can eat this egg". I feel like safe things should ALWAYS be safe.

Post subject: Re: Easter Pet Peeve
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:47 pm 

I agree! I was in the store the other day and picked up every single package of easter chocolate and I can't have one! :verymad I don't see why TN or PN are even in those factories to begin with they're not necessary to the production. I think this is another example of big companies covering their butts so they don't have to test things to guarantee their customer's safety. I feel bad for the kids who can't experience the easter candy like others. It's not fair to them :(

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:58 pm 

This just reminded me that I better get my annual bunny order in to Guardian Angel!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:27 pm 

I know.....as soon as I saw the Easter stuff out it made me sigh. I commented to a family member that this food to food to food holiday focus is exhausting ...her reply..."well some of us love it". NICE, especially when referring to her 4 year old nephew over her own 43 year old snack urges.
sorry...vent over

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:44 pm 

Make sure you read labels. We saw a lot of safe licenced Easter stuff this year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:25 pm 

And remember to think of the poor kids who can't have any easter candy because of the dairy in them (mostly chocolate). I make DH cupcakes and draw little eggs on them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:45 pm 

That's why I order the chocolate bunnies from Guardian Angel! No dairy, peanuts, tree nuts or eggs! Kind of expensive once you factor in shipping to the West, but my ds loves them, and I order the same one for my non-allergic daughter. I used to try and make my own, but they never turned out that well...

It's sooooo hard to find dairy-free chocolate. I wish Guardian Angel would start to stock their products outside of Ontario and Quebec.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:57 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
I know.....as soon as I saw the Easter stuff out it made me sigh. I commented to a family member that this food to food to food holiday focus is exhausting ...her reply..."well some of us love it". NICE, especially when referring to her 4 year old nephew over her own 43 year old snack urges.
sorry...vent over

Simply ignorant. :verymad It really does feel like we go from one food holiday to another and while summer does not have any official "food holidays" it is our social time which of course includes food :(

Thankfully your 4 year old has more tact than she does...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:50 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
"well some of us love it". NICE, especially when referring to her 4 year old nephew over her own 43 year old snack urges.

Some of us would "love it" if food manufacturers realized that you make little kids and whole families feel excluded with these pretty but untouchable displays. Bravo to Guardian Angel and others like them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:13 pm 

*sigh* I know! Maynards has some safe Easter goodies! Just their usual gummies in different shapes.

I still don't understand why there is so much junk food around the holidays! And it's at the stores a month before the holiday. Who is buying Easter treats four weeks early? Or Christmas treats the day after Hallowe'en? :dungetit

I'm sticking to homemade carrot cake! Delicious and fun.

We use plastic eggs filled with non-food treats (plant seeds, fake flowers, rings, bracelets, etc.), which seems to be just fine for the girls in my Brownie unit!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:49 am 

Great ideas about the non-food items. We always put coins in some too. Lots of quarters, a few loonies. When I was a kid the goal was to find the one that was the most hidden as it always had the most money in it - no idea if that was a dollar or five or ??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:31 pm 

Peeps marshmallows chicks have been nut, milk and egg free the last few years and a real hit at our home. I haven't looked at them yet this year to check the labelling.