You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Montana's
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:28 pm 

I was browsing the Montana's menu, and noticed that the kids meal have an option of bear paws (with the peanut free symbol) as a dessert. Which lead me to believe that they take allergies quite seriously. It seems that they have a comprehensive chart, and that there are a lot of items that would be safe for PN. But the disclaimer irks me, I know that they can't GUARANTEE anything, but suggesting that those with serious allergies should eat there is upsetting. What's the point of the allergy info? What do you think?

http://www.montanas.ca/pdf/nutrition.pdf

Post subject: Re: Montana's
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:05 am 

That irks me also Becky. Either they can or can't make a safe meal - we are talking about a life. If an accident happened that is different, but with the disclaimer it almost seems like the could take more chances and be less careful as if an 'oops' did happen they could just point to the disclaimer and say 'we told you so'.
Not very assuring to say the least.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:24 pm 

We used to eat there often but then last summer we tried to go to an in-airport smaller Montana's and were told they could not provide a safe meal and the experience was so unnerving that we have never returned...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:45 am 

I have never gone to Montana's because another parent said there were peanut shells scattered as decoration in the bar area. There is also signage on the entrance cautioning people with allergies.
Is that actually what they do now?
I am not comfortable going anyplace where we will be in close proximity to peanuts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:23 pm 

Cathie wrote:
I have never gone to Montana's because another parent said there were peanut shells scattered as decoration in the bar area. There is also signage on the entrance cautioning people with allergies.
Is that actually what they do now?
I am not comfortable going anyplace where we will be in close proximity to peanuts.

In Winnipeg we have never seen peanuts in Montana's. The reason we liked going there was that they had a detailed allergy menu that showed every single food item and columns for each top allergen. It made it very easy to identify which foods were safe for my daughter to eat.

As I said, after the airport Montana's we just haven't been back so no idea if the local ones are still okay. I've recently been diagnosed with allergy to shrimp so I'm just learning how to deal with that one as far as grills etc for cross-contamination.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:27 pm 

They used to have open peanuts in the restaurant, with shells on the floor. Around here, they have since done away with that feature of the restaurant and removed the peanut allergy alert from the door.