You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:12 am 
Site Admin

It's OK for a citizen to use a defibrulator on a heart attack victim but not to use an Epipen on a person suffering from an anaphylaxis reaction (unless their name is on the epipen)?
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/a8e634ee-68c0 ... z1oiGbRlEq

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:41 pm 

Excellent question. I wonder if it has to do with paranoia about needles?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:26 am 

I wonder if its because there is no 'judgement' or 'diagnosis' required with a defibrillator? With a defibrillator the person only has to attach the pads and the machine analyses the rhythm and either advises to continue cpr or to stand clear so a shock can be delivered..no shock can be given if the machine doesnt recognise a lifethreatening cardiac rhythm.......with an epipen there has to be a diagnosis made that anaphylaxis is occuring and a decision then to administer drug.....the diagnosis might be easy to make if the person has a florid rash and is visibly swelling...but if they dont have a rash (like my son's 4 previous anaphylaxis) and they just become confused with a hoarse voice then thats much trickier to pick.

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:37 am 

Well, as I have said before regarding those who chose not to deliver life saving meds when they have access to them . - Can you imagine if we said that we'd be glad to read the directions to a person in crisis re: using the public defibrillator so they are able to self administer!!!!! Somehow, I think society would be in an uproar.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:07 am 

My biggest concern about this is not in public places like malls as much as in schools - every school here has at least one defibrillator in an easily accessible and clearly marked location, with signs posted throughout the school with its location. Are school-aged children more likely to need a defibrillator or Epipen... I'm voting the latter, although the former could be needed too and I don't discredit it's value either. I wish to see EpiPens in easily accessible, clearly marked locations in schools! If they only do it in one place, please let it be schools! I'd love to write a letter to the school boards here, but not being a parent, past experience tells me my voice is essentially mute when talking to schools.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:00 pm 

The school where I work has a large rubbermaid-style box on top of a cabinet labelled "LIFE SAVING MEDICATION". It was literally one of the first things I noticed when I first walked in there. The epis in there would all belong to specific students but at least it is easily identifiable where to find them.

Ironically when I went in to update my personal health information to advise that I now carry an epi-pen the secretary told me that they don't keep that information :scratchy . In the department where I work there are 2 adults who carry epis and all staff know where we keep them :huggy