You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:16 am 

As part of our ongoing efforts to keep our daughter safe at school (she's entering grade primary), the school principal has asked me if it would be okay to put a picture of my daughter along with her name and allergies in the school newsletter to help with awareness and put a face to the allergy.

At a glance it seems like a good idea but I don't know why I have this odd nagging feeling that it might turn out to be not so great. Is everyone going to understand? Are we singling her out by doing this? Are we giving an opportunity for bullying? Are other parents going to be resentful or receptive?

I'm sure there are pros and cons to this. Anyone have any experience with this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.allergymom.ca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:51 pm 

I would not for multiple reasons.

1. Once printed or put online it becomes a public document. You have no idea who else will see it. Would you ever post your child's photo and information on a public bulletin board?

2. Kids will quickly figure out who has the allergies. They also figure out who wears glasses, who is the fastest runner, coolest artist, who has the favourite colour green etc.

3. That is your child's personal health information and I'm shocked that the school wanted to post it. In my experience, K to 3 students are more open to sharing but after that not as much. When my child was diagnosed with allergies to tree nuts in grade 7, at my child's request, we told the school that they were not allowed to tell the students. She already had plenty of other allergies and since there was already someone else in class with tree nut allergies it didn't change anything. She simply didn't want to share it. After a while she did share but not until she was ready.

4. There may be other children with an allergy as well whom the precautions will benefit. If kids think "It's only Suzy" then they might think it is free time on her allergens when she is away.

The precautions for allergies such as hand-washing and food-free class parties are beneficial for health as well --- less illness when hand washing more regularly and removing the focus from food for social events is excellent.

hmmm a little longer than answering Bad... and those are just my initial thoughts :huggy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:17 am 

im with waloeet=do they also put photos of the kids that have diabetes, epilepsy, aspergers, chronic constipation, etc etc? There are other ways to keep your child safe without singling out in a newletter...the class teacher can generally talk about allergies...how it can effect some children...what might happen in an allergic reaction...not to share food...only to eat what parents have provided...always wash hands before and after eating. My sons' allergies have never been 'published' but the kids in his grade are all aware and his teachers and all those at the school are aware of his issues.
Im sure the principal is very well meaning....but there might be a better way to do it eg a general note in the school newsletter mentioning there are a number of children at the school with lifetreatening food allergies and the expectations with regard to keeping them in a safe environment?

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Naming our children is a violation of privacy and needs to be on a need to know basis. The parents of other students need to only know the schools policy.

For a face to anaphylaxis, have the principal downlaod an immage of Sabrina Shannon, Megann Ayotte Lefort, BJ Hom or Ammaria Johnsen...unfortunately there is a long list of others but these just pop into my mind.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:08 am 

I'm 100% in agreement with Walooet,Susan and Caz...I'd say more but these ladies covered it perfectly!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish