You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:37 pm 

I have heard that something called chistosan, which is derived from seafood, is used in the wine making process. Does anyone have any information about this, and does anyone know if this means that people with seafood allergies should avoid wine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

This was mentioned in a thread in the Other Allergies forum;
http://www.allergicliving.ca/forum/view ... d5cfbea8fe

I remmember reading about isinglass being used to clairify wines.
Here is an article I found about it.
www.efsa.europa.eu/EFSA/Scientific_Opin ... hor_en.pdf -

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:10 am 

If your child has been diagnosed with a severe allergy to fish or shellfish, it is likely he/she will have the allergy for life. These allergies are frequently severe, and can come on even as an adult. I know an adult woman with a shellfish allergy who no longer gets hives if she eats shellfish; instead she becomes disoriented almost as if she were intoxicated.

Read the full article here:http://www.allergicchild.com/shellfish_allergy.htm
A must read.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:15 pm 

Although this initial query was posted a few years ago I am brand new to shrimp and crab allergies.

Over the past year or more I would get abdominal cramps and one time it was really bad. In addition, it just stopped tasting good to me. Since we rarely eat out I would honestly forget in between. It wasn't until I went to the allergist suspecting tree nuts as the allergen that I was tested for multiple foods and shrimp and crab were the only positives. Then everything started to make sense!

The reason I am posting here is that I also chose to stop drinking because I found that wine was making me feel "fuzzy" afterwards. Not a great descriptor but the only way I can think to say it. Once I completely stopped drinking that fuzzy feeling went away.

Curious if others allergic to shrimp and crab have experienced that feeling with wine too?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:19 am 

Walooet, how are things going? Have you found you feel better with no alcohol, did it make a difference? And what about food, have you managed to find safe products? :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:38 am 

BC2007 wrote:
Walooet, how are things going? Have you found you feel better with no alcohol, did it make a difference? And what about food, have you managed to find safe products? :huggy

Yes, I do feel better without alcohol --- bonus is that no more "munchies after a couple of drinks" :thumbsup Occasionally I would like to have a drink but I just don't bother. To be honest, the toughest part is having to get through some extended family events where a few drinks made it easier :pipe

With the shrimp and crab allergy it has been easy to avoid but I did have a mild reaction one time after a ceasar salad and anchovy is the only thing I could think that would be a problem. Anchovy is a fish and not shellfish so I may try that dressing again just to see if it is a problem or whether it was something else.

We went out for dinner for the first time since my diagnosis a month ago and it was sad to see so many wonderful dishes that I could no longer eat. I also found I did not enjoy it nearly as much hoping that I would not have a reaction. I won't be returning to the Keg since there is just so much shellfish on the menu that it wasn't fun. I know that I will get to a point where I don't worry about a reaction but after being in pain most times we dined out it is difficult --- my main reactions were abdominal pain.

I used to love Japanese food but again, so much shellfish that I don't know if I could get it prepared without cross-contamination since our favourite restaurant has a tiny prep area where everything is done. It will be worth asking but somehow I doubt it.

Thanks for asking BC :huggy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:45 pm 

Quote:
Occasionally I would like to have a drink but I just don't bother. To be honest, the toughest part is having to get through some extended family events where a few drinks made it easier
:rofl I'll come with you and drink for you. LOL

I have to say that knowing what you are going through REALLY opens my eyes more to what our kids go through. I really thought I understood but hearing you talk I realize I still can never fully empathize. Even if I tried to avoid the same foods as DS for example the difference is I one, could eat something else if I choose to and two, if I did eat something with trace etc. I wouldn't have a reaction anyway. In a way your allergies Walooet have truly brought to my attention just how much I do 'assume' DS doesn't mind what he is missing and can't choose to eat.

Hopefully you can find a safe Caesar dressing and slowly find more safe foods. Interesting about the fish, I hope with my fingers/toes and eyes crossed that your allergy stays put at shellfish and doesn't become inclusive of fish. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:34 am 

Glad that my comments have given you some insight into your son's allergies BC. It has been 6 weeks since my diagnosis and already it is easier --- had to mourn the loss of my favourite foods. Tonight we ate out at an Italian restaurant with a nice variety on the menu. My daughter was thrilled to actually be able to eat the rolls -- the restaurant makes them from scratch on site. The only tree nut there is in a dessert that they do not make there. I wasn't as nervous this time to eat which could be attributed to 6 weeks of acceptance and also the staff understanding of our allergies. Group dinners or buffets are still going to be challenging.

Back to the wine - besides feeling "fuzzy" I would also get red blotches on my face, hot ears and sometimes really itchy face. It happened with some beer and some wine. Once I realized it could be an allergic reaction I stopped drinking because with the beer it could be after half a beer that it started!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:36 am 

BC2007 wrote:
:rofl I'll come with you and drink for you. LOL

Too funny --- only just caught it now that you will "drink for me"! It would definitely be fun to have you join us! Too bad we live in different cities...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:03 pm 

Walooet I am also allergic to shellfish, it has been quite a while for me. I can have fish though, really only tilapia and a little can tuna. I was puzzeled last year after eating salmon and having a reaction. I was retested and no reaction. So I came to the forum, someone suggested that it may be because wild salmon eat shellfish. This I did not know. So to eat farm raised salmon would be fine, but the Salmon I ate was caught in the wild. I must admit I have not had any since. You know how it leaves a bad feeling in that your not in too much of a rush to have some again. In any case I thought you should be wary of that situation. I do drink white wine. :thumbsup I cannot seem to drink red wine though as my hands, feet and face become very red and hot every single time no matter the brand. I can also have a GT or strawberry dacq. ......... :swing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:50 pm 

paige H wrote:
...wild salmon eat shellfish.... farm raised salmon would be fine... I cannot seem to drink red wine though as my hands, feet and face become very red and hot every single time no matter the brand...

Thanks Paige. That is good info. I love salmon and living in the prairies it is typically farmed salmon that is available.

Interesting that it is only red wine that bothers you. I honestly don't recall if it was just red for me as beer also caused problems. Similar to your reaction, my face and ears would become red and hot and sometimes itchy. It's been a few months without alcohol and I don't miss it much so I think I'll just stick to the no drinking. Just might change that when the hot summer days arrive!