You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:20 pm 

My MIL bought a 10oz (283g) bag of Girardelli mini semi-sweet chocolate chips this past weekend while she was shopping in Buffalo, NY. My oldest child has a very severe peanut allergy so I went on-line to see if their product was peanut-free. Their ingredient labelling showed that soy was highlighted and there was a 'may contain' milk but I wanted to ensure there was no risk for cross-contamination with peanuts.

Unfortunately, their website only offers a 1-800 number (which no one answered) as the only method to contact them. Does anyone know if their mini chocolate chips (the only brand we've found so far that might be safe) are peanut-free? My son can eat tree nuts now but we are still vigilant about staying away from peanuts.

If anyone can provide me with a link to this information I'd really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:18 am 

Hope you get some answers.

We use the large bag of chocolate chips you can buy at Costco. Hersheys. Not all their small bags are pn/tn safe but the large bag is made in a pn/tn free facility. DS eats them all the time and we've never had an issues.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:15 am 

Any answers yet?

We use PC Pure Decadence chocolate chips from Superstore for pn/tn/dairy/egg allergies. :) We also order the dark chocolate chips from NoNuttin and the mini chips from Enjoy Life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:33 pm 

Thanks for the responses. I'm just looking for mini chips. I use President's Choice semi-Sweet chips for my usual baking. I'll try Enjoy Life. I just haven't been able to find many of their products to taste very good - except for their trail mix which is awesome and, now that I think of it, has mini chocolate chips (although i assume they're carob and not true chocolate chips due to dairy being one of the allergy grouos they don't use?:)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:05 am 

canuckmommy wrote:
although i assume they're carob and not true chocolate chips due to dairy being one of the allergy grouos they don't use?:)

They are definitely chocolate! Cocoa itself doesn't contain dairy, it's only when manufacturers add dairy products to the cocoa that it makes milk chocolate. You can definitely have dairy-free chocolates, just like the PC ones. :)