You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:04 am 
Site Admin

FAAN posted a comment about this ad on many Facebook pages in response to the uproar"
Quote:
The new commercial for EpiPen®, which aired in many markets this week, has caused great concern among many in the food allergy community. We at FAAN viewed this commercial for the first time this week.

FAAN was not involved in any aspect of the direction or production of this commercial, which was distributed by Mylan Specialty. We recognize the issues surrounding the messaging of this commercial, and we have been working behind the scenes to convey our concerns and yours. To that end, we have invited Mylan to share with us any new promotional campaigns centered around food allergies so that we may help ensure that important messaging to patients and their caregivers is clear: there is no cure for food allergies, and strict avoidance of the allergen is the only way to prevent a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction.

We value the opinions of the food allergy community – a dynamic, passionate, and vital group that has united to accomplish so much on behalf of individuals affected by food allergies. We look forward to working with all of our partners in our efforts to raise public awareness, to provide advocacy and education, and to advance research on behalf of all those affected by food allergies and anaphylaxis.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:32 am 
Site Admin

This morning Mylan (EpiPen's makers) told FAAN that the ad is being pulled.

AL heard from many in the food-allergic community who were upset about the ad.

We shared with Mylan our concerns about the viewer's "takeaway" msg. from the commercial, as did FAAN and I believe FAI, Kids With Food Allergies and others.

I'd like to thank Mylan for being so responsive to this community's concerns. If you have a moment, let them know you appreciate it.

When we have an official statement from the co. - expected today - I will share that.

Thanks to everybody in the community for telling us they were concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

I understand they will modify the ad. I hope they do run an ad (just a bit different). It will help to bring attention to the issue of food allergies.

Has anyone else notice soy/almond/rice milks or gluten-free products in grocery store flyers lately?
We're becoming mainstream! :happydance

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

I think you're right - I think more manufacturers are finally figuring out that we're a market. (Not to mention all those who break bread with us.)