You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Dare Almond Cookies?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm 

Paige - I hope you were okay after those cookies. It's tough to read labels every time, especially when a product has been safe for years... *sigh*

Still no conclusion from the CFIA. I've been assured that they are working with Dare on the issue. I have no idea what is going on beyond that. Keep your fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:40 pm 

Thank you ladies I was just fine. I really had just snapped a piece off and spit it right out. Just in the last few months I had decided to be tested for coconut. I had not recalled having a reaction in MANY years and I had also had some accidental ingestion of it (two times-one restaurant decided it would taste better to add it to my drink cuz it would taste good! and a potatoe chip while I was in Hawaii) I only had one sip of the drink but I did have a couple 2-3 chips. I never noticed any kind of reaction so with that I went to the allergist to see/hope but no such luck skin prick swelled right away. I wonder if in the drink it could have just been a flavoring but not the real thing?? The chips must have been the oil why no reaction I am not sure. How is it refined???? Not comfortable to just allow it into my diet though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:05 pm 

Paige - Not to sidetrack the thread, but would your allergist set up an oral coconut challenge for you? Skin prick tests with no or little history could be false positive. And the fact that you've had accidental ingestion without reaction is hopeful. It may be worth your effort to investigate! Some coconut oils are refined, some are not. Like any vegetable oil, some contain little to no proteins whilst others can contain significant protein. I don't know much more beyond that...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:07 am 

Since I reacted so quickly with the scratch test I never even thought of a oral challenge. Will have to wrap my brain around putting that in my mouth on purpose. Thanks for that response I guess it is something I should think about.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:45 am 

Paige - have you had an oral challenge before? My daughter has had two.

She passed her oral challenge to peanuts and every 20 minutes they gave her more --- first amount was miniscule and eventually she ate a full peanut butter cup. She was sick of them by that point!

With the next one where she had a low RAST positive score and small skin prick test reaction, they started by just rubbing it on her lips. 20 minutes later a tiny bit was put in her mouth. At that point she had a reaction so the challenge was stopped.

In a controlled setting it was worth it!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:54 pm 

I feel like this should be on another thread (sorry) I have never had an oral challenge. I am concerned to do it when I tested positive with the scratch test. Certainly not in a rush to do it. I had been to the allergist the year before and tested for two other items that came back negative and I now eat, and enjoy so when I came back the year later to question coconut the allergist seemed not to impressed that I had come back and asked "well we didn't test that last time because you did not ask for it so why now???" I just got that "Your a bother feeling" I really wonder how he would react if I came back yet again to have an oral challenge.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:57 pm 

I think about this thread everytime I pass by (or pick up) Dare products. The company has (overall) been so great for us, we feel very fortunate to have the selection that they do, of peanut free cookies and crackers. I sincerely appreciate that they have gone to lengths to produce these, where so many other companies can't be bothered. I wouldn't want this dispute to sour their desire to produce peanut free snacks.

But of course there is always room for improvement, and any contradictory label is of deep concern, that I would hope they would want to rectify.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:46 pm 

UPDATE! Just heard from the CFIA today. Dare will be changing the label on their almond cookies. What changes will be made, I don't know yet. I have asked and will get back to you when I know more.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:33 am 
Site Admin

You could have had a baby in the time it took them to move on this! :roll:

Glad they're going to make some changes to clairify their label.

Good for you, for looking into this! :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:32 pm 

Update: Dare has submitted the new label to the CFIA for approval. Took them long enough, but it's a step in the right direction. Still no word as to when the new label will hit the shelves. I will post updates as I know them. I really appreciate the CFIA keeping me informed whenever updates are made to the file.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

Good for you, for staying on top of this! :thanksign

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb