It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:59 pm 

Councillor looks to ban nuts in city
Reports says it may open up Toronto to legal action

By STUART GREEN
Jan. 17, 2006

Quote:
In a move sure to upset squirrels, a city councillor is calling for a total ban on nuts in city snack bars and vending machines.
"In schools, nuts are banned," said Ward 24 Councillor David Shiner (Willowdale). "I don't think we can do that in the same way, but I definitely think that we can eliminate the sale of nuts or nut products at the snack bars and vending machines and I don't think it's too much to ask.

For complete story....

http://www.insidetoronto.com/to/northy/ ... 3496c.html

[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:16 pm 

This is good news! Even if the ban on peanuts in city vending machines doesn't go through, it is good to raise general awareness about allergies. I wrote to Councillor Shiner to thank him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:08 pm 

Thanks for the article. But I'm not sure I like the author's tone. He starts the article as "In a move sure to upset squirrels"... Is he making light of the situation? It sounds like he is undermining the importance of the councillor's request for a ban.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:41 pm 

Storm, it's a small paper - delivered for free in the area it's written, not exactly world renowned writers. ;)

Also, a little bit of humour goes a long way. He's not insulting or criticizing people with allergies - just starts with a little joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:15 pm 

Sorry, but I don't see the humour in it. People all over my neighbourhood leave peanuts out for squirrels and I constantly find peanuts and/or their shells all over my front lawn and backyard. I have to inspect the lawn each and every time so my son can go out and play safely on his own property.

Last time, those cheeky squirrels left five whole peanuts on the BBQ on my deck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:27 pm 

:shock: That is aweful. We had some neighbourhood kids who were into "egging" this summer and on halloween. The side of our house, in the backyard where the kids play got hit a few times, the shells were everwhere, and when you washed it off, you had to worry about where your wash water went. I don't find squirrels leaving peanuts on your lawn and bbq to be at all funny. I can see why you presonally do not like the squirrel joke so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:55 am 

Way to go, Dave - what an enlightened guy.

Take that, you fiendish squirrels!! I have had to leave Stanley Park with my then-toddler because there were so many shells on the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:55 pm 

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news ... f30a06e8ef

Quote:
City council last week unanimously passed a motion stating that ''peanut and nut products not be sold in city facilities where children frequent.''

The manager of the vending machine company is complaining about how there will be a sharp fall in revenues. And how Nestle is the only company with peanut free facilities. :lol:

I sent an e-mail to Mr. Shiner advising of some other peanut free products in individual sizes - including some healthy snacks. Done properly I don't think there will be a drop in revenue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:05 pm 

Thanks for the update, AnnaMarie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:04 pm 

This is wonderful news for those allergic to peanut / nuts. I hope other cities / regions follow suit.