You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:30 pm 

Hi!
Forgive me if this a repeat topic, but I am brand new here. Very happy to be here and especially to get ideas on travelling with the epi pen in hot temperatures...I never have come up with the perfect system. I live in Southern Ohio...90's and higher Fahrenheit for much of summer. If we go to a pool or amusement park, ball game, festival, etc. I have tried wrapping the epipen in toweling and placing it in a small cooler with a small ice pack. However, I fear it getting too cold! Or if I don't provide enough cooling, too warm. And I also wonder, if some people wear them on the leg, don't they get too hot (body temperature?). How much do we need to worry about temperature? This causes me lots of worry every summer.

Our situation is 12 yo son with asthma and tree nut allergy, not diagnosed until age 9. He reacted to pistachios, which we are not sure he had ever eaten. So our greatest worries are pistachios and cashews, but he avoids all tree nuts. I am not sure how to add this on my posts...will look into later :)

Thanks for any info.

Julie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:17 am 

Welcome :D

We use a little thermometer that we bought in the camping section. We found that the epi cannot be too close to the icepack or else it does get too cold. We would put it on top of a towel that was inside the cooler --- that worked at 105 when out at the lake!

to add a signature to your user profile:
On top right of screen: User Control Panel
Left of screen: Profile
again Left side: Edit signature

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:43 am 

where we go camping it can be 107-113 on a bad day..we use a frio wallet and they keep them at the perfect temp.

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:26 pm 

caz wrote:
where we go camping it can be 107-113 on a bad day..we use a frio wallet and they keep them at the perfect temp.

Do you buy the online? Or are they sold in stores? pharmacies?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:15 am 

I got mine online from anaphylaxis australia http://www.allergyfacts.org.au/online-store?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=59&category_id=8

They are a diabetic product so you might get them through a local diabetic association??

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:19 pm 

I use the Frio pouches as well and they work well. You can order them direct from Frio UK (friouk.com) or email them to find a supplier nearest you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:12 pm 

Our Pharmacy was able to bring in two Frio pouches for me to check. They had never heard of them and will now likely carry them for both clients with food allergies and diabetes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

:thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:19 pm 

Thank you so much! At first I was discouraged they were not in US but found them in my state through a diabetic supply store. Very happy with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you found one.

I'm surprised there aren't more brands of these - given how sizzling summer has been this year and last. It's getting challenging to keep the Epi cool just walking around outside.