You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:02 am 

Aaarrrggghhh. Dd started out with dairy, egg and then at 2.5yrs we found out about the peanut allergy. Because of the dairy, we were eating a lot of soy with no problems. About a year ago, she complained that she was suddenly getting 'an itchy tongue' from chick peas and lentils, both of which she had eaten with no problems many times before. So we took those and all dried legumes out of her diet, but continued with peas and fresh green beans.

We had cut down on soy the last couple of years just because of all the contraversy around it, so stopped buying soy milk and soy ice cream, but would have tofu 2-3 times a month, and used Earth Balance margarine.

Today, for the second time in about a month, she complained about an itchy tongue after eating a few pieces of tofu, so now I'm suspecting a soy allergy, which I'm hoping I'm wrong about just because of its prevalence in packaged foods. However, I realized she eats Earth Balance on toast regularly with no issue, plus small amounts of soy in bread, crackers, etc.

As an aside, she outgrew the dairy allergy a few years ago so she can have regular milk and now DS has rice milk, but we are going to Australia where they don't seem to have rice milk. It would be nice to be able to make smoothies with soy while we're there, but not if DD can't have it. . .

Any experience with this?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Time to see the allergist again. Is there anything else in the tofu? Was it just plain or served with any other ingredients? Seems very strange indeed. I hope you get some answers.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:48 pm 

Yes, we should see the allergist again . . . I could try isolating for the tofu and see what happens. It was with chicken which she eats with no problem. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

Were you able to figure this out?

Hope so - an odd one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:50 pm 

Not really, but thx for asking Gwen. She reacted to a No Nuttin granola bar a few months ago, too, which contains soy, but she continues to have Earth Balance with no issues. . . It's frustrating, but no reactions recently.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:01 am 

We DO have rice milk here :pipe . You will get it without a problem in most coles or woolworths supermarkets and health food shops. You would even be able to order it online and have it delivered.

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:35 am 

Regarding Earth Balance... my mom has a soy allergy, and Earth Balance does have a soy-free option: http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/prod ... ry-spread/. Just wanted to make sure you have not been using the soy-free version if you are trying to determine if soy is the problem since one of the Earth Balance products actually is soy-free.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:33 pm 

Thanks Caz, yes, did find the rice milk in Oz. I had been researching from home and the brand we regularly use is not availBle there.

Julie, yes, we have the version with soy, so yes, she is consuming soy. I have recently noticed the soy free version, though, which is good to know. Thanks!