You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Group Travel
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:29 am 

I am having a "down" day. I can't seem to get yesterdays phone call out of my head. I am feeling like a burden! And I hate it. So my dd and I are going to Kenya in July with a charity group through her school. She has been involved with this group for the last three years. There will be a total of about 15 of us. I know at least 2/3 of the group. Students and a couple of parents two staff members and the gentleman who run's the charity pluss a couple other that I do not know. I have enough to deal with, with planning to have enough epi's and much food that will last two weeks in my luggage. The flight, hotel, restaurants..... Now we are going to be traveling in Kenya by van as of yesterday I understand two people who "were" to be in my van would like out! They said they could not figure out what on earth they would be able to eat snack wise. I have said that while we are driving I need to make sure no one is eating trail mix... I don't care if they eat before or after as long as hands are washed before we get in van..... (where is the smilie with tears)
It was also said that I called the coordinator to ask about hospitals. I did not, but I should have. I called to give another $$$$! I did ask about the food in restaurants so I know what I will be dealing with. I hate the attention on me :oops:
I like things to run smoothly. I do like to slide under the radar. I certainly don't want to go feeling like I should not be there. Also with such a small group I don't want to "hang" with the van outies! I would have been happy to suggest any may contain granola bars..... as any of us with allergies know we do find snacks. I was already planning to bring MANY snacks so I could share. Others probably don't realize the financial undertaking that people with allergies have to take on. From the higher cost of many items we purchase for ourselves AND the stuff we buy for others who are around us.
Thanks for letting me vent. :banghead :(

Post subject: Re: Group Travel
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:48 pm 

That is really tough to deal with when planning such an incredible trip.

As a parent I understand some of what you have to do as my teenager recently went on a school trip out of province that took a lot of planning. While most meal providers were good, some were not and the suitcase with safe food was used nearly every day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:38 pm 

Wow, what a challenge! And what an amazing sounding trip! I hope things start to go more smoothly and the other people on the trip start to 'get it'. Maybe send an email to the group with suggestions on what they *can* bring, like the may contain granola bars etc that you mentioned. I have found that parents at school really appreciate a list of recommended items in addition to the list of what they aren't supposed to send. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:58 am 

Keep your chin up, Paige! Allison's Mom's suggestion would be what I would do - make some recommendations of snacks to the other people in the group. Sometimes people get so caught up in what they cannot have that they forget what they CAN have (pretzels, crackers, dried fruit bars, etc.), even if it is blatantly obvious. I've been in similar situations too many times and it can be a struggle when people don't get it and become closed minded to what you have to say.

Surprisingly, or maybe not, even people with visible disabilities still face the same challenges we do. I know a girl in a wheelchair who has been told that she cannot do things or go on field trips because of her disability when really it was the group not wanting her to come or not thinking she could do things that she could. We aren't alone in our struggle to be understood and accommodated. It sucks, but when we keep our chin up, speak out in a polite and enthusiastic manner, backed with good research and some compassion of our own, things generally work out. I wish you all the best and have a wonderful trip; it sounds like an incredible opportunity!

Take care and let us know how it goes. We're here to help with bumps in the road.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:13 pm 

Since I was trying to keep things as simple as possible the only time I had asked for the restriction was in the vehicle as we travel from point A to B in Kenya. Sad to say it really feels personal. Could even be residual from exclusions as a child (I might be exaggerating just a bit, but no one likes to feel like a problem or unwelcome) :freak

OK chin up!! I will come up with a letter for the group. :goodidea
And as planned I will still bring snacks for them all. Good thing I have time before we do travel so I can get through my pitty party, cuz someone doesn't want me there! :(
OK party over! Time to enlighten them that there really are alternatives to pn and tn snacks. AND the girls who just left my van to go to another one don't realize they just left the "Party Bus" :banana :happydance

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:25 pm 

Hugs Paige.

Maybe also mention you are bringing extra snacks for the other riders on your bus. I'm sure they will appreciate the gesture. . . .