You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:58 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
and I start thinking....maybe I can eat just a few.....haven't had a reaction in ages.....maybe I've outgrown my allergies :verymad

Hey! You need a good talkin' to? Behave!! :frightened :huggy

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:01 pm 

Fortunately, people we visit put away the nuts when I'm there. It would just be so nice to be able to add one or two nuts into my diet.

but, I guess I'll just have to settle for chocolate.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:07 pm 

Oh AnnaMarie you are having one of my food Pitty partys. I hear ya. The other day instead of just missing certain foods I sat in my car (waiting for school to let out) crazy thoughts started going... What would I give to eat like a person with no allergies (this has never happened for me allergies since very young child) Now I know this sounds bad but if I tell the truth I was thinking i'd lose a finger... :frightened
O.K. sick thoughts but they were there, just thinking of going into any restaurant with out a thought of what might happen. Anyway saying this later to my DH all he said is "the taste a moment on the lips..." :verymad I thought you just don't get it, it's not about a bite of food it is about the daily life and the decisions that are made all because of ALLERGIES. I guess even if you live with allergies in the house if it is not you, you still don't get it. I do think a parent/mother would get it because we do feel only as great as our children do.
o.k. got that of my chest.
P.S. I would still like to eat some christmas treats when I'm out and not only what I make.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:22 pm 

Paige H - you said
Quote:
I do think a parent/mother would get it because we do feel only as great as our children do.
I guess we 'get it' but only those with the condition truly know what it's really like. I often wonder what changes it would have made in my family if we didn't ever have to deal with this. Some good but, some bad too maybe? Who knows?

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:48 am 

I think the whole concept of having to 'be without' is foreign to anyone without severe allergies. Its the rare person who is the exception. I like think my Sister gets it to a point. I know that no one else in my family gets what its like to be without.

I think if we didn't have the allergies or have to deal with allergies, we wouldn't be a wise. What I mean is, because we deal with it, we understand what someone else goes through, and is much more understanding and supportive. We've learned to do this and how to do this.

Before I discovered Bragg's Amino Acids, I was craving a juicy Hamburger. Now I can make my own Tofu Burger with Mushrooms that I actually like better than Hamburger. :rofl However, this still doesn't replace being able to eat out at BK and get something to eat for my nephew and I so he can play with other kids. Currently, I buy him something to eat, and me a drink. And leave it at that. When I get hungry, I'll sneak bites of corn flour chip of some kind.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:22 am 

I miss fruit. I miss eating mangoes and papayas, watermelon and honeydew, nectarines and plums and a juicy peach, its so sad I miss all the fruits I can't eat. I miss avocados and pineapples I miss tomatoes and yes mr potato I miss you too and most of all I miss chocolate and chewing gum. Soy why did you become so popular?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:07 am 

Growing up with food allergies (peanuts/nuts) has helped to shape my daughter into a really responsible thoughtful young lady. There have been several times that I have brought home a safe peanutbutter substitute so she could see what she had been missing out on.Her response was: "Is that what I've been missing? I don't care for it."

In grade 12 she missed her trip to New York for the band trip because the travel agency the school hired booked with an airline that would not accommodate peanut allergies and even served meals with peanut satay. Their website was misleading and when contacted they admitted it needed updating.The travel agency thought they could just give the airline a list of allergies to deal with. They required some education that this strategy would only work if the airline was willing to accommodate. I got our downpayment back for the trip and took both daughters to Toronto instead to see a Broadway musical there and the King Tut display.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:10 am 

Chips. Now, it seems all chps and crackers and made with Sunflower oil. It's everywhere! I guess it's better for me since I have high blood preasure but still... I miss them.

For years I did not eat ice cream because it was not safe. I'm glad they now have various brands that are peanut free.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:22 pm 

We miss not being able to have salads and fresh fruit all summer long or going to a bakery and ordering anything. . When my child was away we ate many of her allergens and that was when we truly realized how much she misses out on.

For the first month after I was diagnosed with the crustacean allergy I found it really hard but now I'm fine. I think I have blocked the memories of the amazing prawns and lobster meals. :pipe