You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:50 am 
Site Admin

AAIA's Epipen Take Action Event is gearing up in 6 cities across Canada this May! Lace up your shoes and run or walk for a good cause.

A substantial portion of the proceeds from the EpiPen® TAKE ACTION Event are donated to Canadian Aller...gy, Asthma and Immunology Foundation (CAAIF). In the past six years the AAIA has provided over $320,000 from various sources to the CAAIF to fund research and patient education.

If you don't wish to run/walk, you can volunteer or make a donation. This is a great event.

http://aaia.ca/en/activities.htm

I just want to add that for my daughter, this is an oppourtunity to meet other children and young adults who are also dealing with severe food allergies. It is very empowering to see each other being active and healthy. So often you only hear about them after an anaphylaxis reaction.

Come out, it's a lot of fun!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:54 am 

We will be volunteering and walking!

We are also making signs to wear on our shirts. They will be specific so my husband's will say

Walking for my teenager who carries an epi-pen for tree nuts (plus the rest of the long list) and for my wife who carries an epi-pen for shrimp.

Those signs created a lot of conversations last year since my teen has a lot of unusual allergies :huggy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

:happydance

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:04 pm 

In Alberta we are doing the same thing as every year.....nothing.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Lol, some day...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:14 pm 

Sunday, May 27, 2012. The Mississauga EpiPen/AAIA Take Action Event was a success - and thankfully the weather cooperated.

Sometimes our families feel very much alone in our quest to keep our children safe and included -- but not on Sunday...
On Sunday, we very much felt the support of our community.

Jake Dheer, Station Manager for RogersTV Mississauga graciously agreed to MC our event and did a wonderful job of keeping us on track.

In attendance were City of Mississauga Councillors Katie Mahoney, Ron Starr and Chris Fonseca. Also MPs Bob Dechert, Brad Butt, Wladyslaw Lizon and Stella Ambler.

Our wonderfully patient performer - Jack Grunsky (http://www.jackgrunsky.com) - said he had no idea the kinds of challenges our families face and that he would definitely be taking our message to the schools he performs at.

We were pleased to have Sara Shannon attend with a friend of Sabrina's - Selena Scott. Selena has become an advocate for anaphylaxis.

15 year old Erika Dacunha opened the event by talking about some of the challenges young people with anaphylaxis face. Erika is an amazing young woman who goes to schools and tells the children about life with allergies and how they can all help their allergic friends stay safe.

Dr. Leith was there to tell everyone about the research that is funded by the events.

I think the highlight was a visit by Toronto Argonaut #33 Jeff Johnson and two of his three young children. A young boy at the event won Jeff's game worn jersey. The young boy was absolutely thrilled. Jeff autographed the jersey for him and posed for pictures. He even let the young man wear his Grey Cup ring. It was such a touching moment.

I can not thank everyone enough for coming out to support the EpiPen/AAIA Take Action Event and for my wonderful local sponsors-Longo's Winston Churchill, Cobs Bread Michael Angelos Plaza, Basketique, The Glenerin Inn, Bare Indulgence Bath Boutique, Post Net, Pizza Pizza, Starbucks-South Common Mall, The Riverwood Conservancy, Peel Public and Catholic School Boards & Cineplex.

It really does take a village to raise a child - and especially a child with any kind of special challenge.

Thank you to all who contributed to making this such a wonderful event. No one person makes good things happen...

Here is the link to the pictures http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 456&type=1

Debbie Bruce
Canadian Anaphylaxis Initiative

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

Debbie,

You're such a tremendous organizer - congratulations to you and the Mississauga gang for such a great event. :banana

I was just disappointed that I was still doing this :damnedcomputer on deadline to get Allergic Living's Summer issue out. All worth it in the end, but I'd have loved to come out to join you guys. Even the lovely Sara Shannon in attendance.