You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Chitin - watch out
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:20 pm 

OMEGA 3 DHA is also now in Black Diamond cheese. It seems to be showing up everywhere and has sure limited the food list once again. Here is another ingredient that we all must look out for [u]CHITIN[/u] :shock:

Since accidentally coming across this I have been EXTREMLY UNCOMFORTABLE. I will make an appt with family doctor to have somethinig put on file at the hospital with the alert - please read before treating patient - Her life depends on it.

WHAT I AM TELLING YOU ABOUT HAS COME FROM THREE SOURCES ON THE INTERNET PLUS MY OWN WORDS. PIECES FROM THIS AND THAT. YOU CAN RESEARCH IT YOURSELF BY JUST TYPING IN CHITIN or CHITOSAN or GLUCOSAMINE

CHITIN is an ingredient derived from crustacean shells. Alaskan King Crab, Horseshoe Crab,Shrimp, Lobster and scorpions. The chitin in horseshoe crabs is favored for research because it is very pure. The large horsehoe crabs are also bled using a stainless steel needle that is inserted into their circulatory system. They treat it to separate something called amoebocytes from the liquid plasma. Then this is freeze-dried & processed foruse in the PHARMACEUTICAL industry.The mostly deacetylated form of CHITIN is called CHITOSAN.

CHITIN was found to have wound-healing properties.

Here is a list of some of the uses of this CHITIN that has made me upset. Wait until you see them. :shock:

1. Standard silk & catgut sutures - are coated with regenerated chitin of chitosan to be absorbed by the body, eliminating need for removal.

2. Dressings for burns, surface wounds and skin graft donnor sites. It dramatically accelerates healing and reduces pain.

3. Bacterial sponges and hospital dressings, artifical blood vessels, contact lenses, tumar inhibition, dental plaque inhibition and blood cholesterol control.

4. Household productes include sponges, diapers, feminine napkins and tampons.

5. Cosmetic products - is excellent because it is remarkably well tolerated by the skin. It is particularly effective hydrating agent. Make-up powder, nail polish, moisturizers, face, hand and body creams and toothpaste are just a few consumer productes that might contain chitin.

6. Treating drinking water - employed as a chelation agent by separating organic compounds and heavy metals.

7. Agriculture - seeds treated with chitosan arelarger and stronger and more resistant to fungal diseases. Treating seeds with chitin can increase crop yields by up to 50%.
Chitin is added to commercial feed mixtures containing whey, a by-product of the cheese industry. Many animals find it hard to digest the high-lactose whey. But chitin supports the growth of beneficial microorganisms in the animals' digestive tract.

8. Dietary supplements - Chitosan has properties similar to plant fiber & can significantly bind fat, acting like a sponge in the digestive tract.

PRODUCTS PRODUCED USING CHITIN HAVE BEEN SHOWN TO INCREASE WOUND HEALING IN ANIMALS AND HUMANS. THEREFORE, CHITIN COULD SERVE AS REPLACEMENTS FOR BONE, CARTILAGE, ARTERIES, VEINS AND MUSCUOLO-FACIAL REPLACEMENTS.

THE USES OF CHITIN AND CHITOSAN ARE ONLY LIMITED BY THE CREATIVITY OF THE BIOMEDICAL ENGINEER.

I have checked site upon site plus the online encyclopedia for info and they all say the same things.

I am now afraid to enter the hospital for any reason but will discuss this in depth with my family doctor. Maybe it is not as bad as it sounds - but......

Post subject: Re: Chitin - watch out
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:09 am 

Well, I'm wondering if there are any reactions that can be traced to this or whether it is considered so refined that there wouldn't be. You may have heard that regular peanut oil is supposed to be fine for peanut allergic people, but cold pressed is deadly. Of course, my PA DS reactions to regular peanut oil. But I have spoken with a number of PA people who can ingest regular peanut oil because it's so highly refined that there's not much of the offending protein left.

So I'm wondering if there is the possibility of this with chitosan (sp?).

In doing a brief google, I see that there are product warnings for people with a shellfish allergy and also a medical paper that reported the results of tests with a skin-like product for burn victims, and it said that no allergic reaction occurred and called the product non-allergenic (although this referred specifically to one kind and not all kinds of such products. See link below. I dont' know how fair it is to post this since I don't know the context of the paper, other results, etc.

http://www.ualberta.ca/~csps/JPPS3(3)/K.Peh/chitosan.htm

But this is very good to know about. It's important to make all medical professionals aware of your LTFA, even when there doesn't seem to be a connection to what's going on--and this is a good instance of why.