You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:12 pm 

Beware of what they are teaching young teenagers at the babysitting course these days. A girl I know told me, on her way home from the babysitting course, that her instructor told her class that babysitters are absolutely not allowed to administer an EpiPen to anyone, even if they know how to do so. Thankfully, this girl has her head on straight, argued with the instructor that someone having a reaction may not be able to give themselves an Epi and that they would need help. I definitely applauded her for that and reminded her that yes, if anyone was having an allergic reaction and needed Epi, she CAN give one. (With their permission of course.) The instructor didn't agree and the girl was very upset by this, as was this girl's mother. And me!

A good reminder for everyone to review allergy action plans and EpiPen instructions with every babysitter every time, because you never know what *new* information they are being told.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:15 am 

So it's better to let the child die in front of you than to help him by given the Epi? How does that make any sense at all? It's not brain surgery! With 15 seconds of explanation, you can administer it correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

Not good. :banghead

Who's offering these courses?

Is this regional or across the country?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:28 pm 

That's terrible!! But part of the reason I only hire people over 16.....I would hate to put a 12/13 year old in charge of that kind of decision.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:14 pm 

From what I can tell, it's a nation-wide organisation but not one most people think of... I wasn't a fan that their course is only one day, instead of two or five that other organisations offer. Thankfully, the anaphylaxis information in the babysitting book they provide says something along the lines of 'in case of emergency, follow instructions provided by the parent/guardian and seek immediate medical attention'. So it could be that was one particular instructor's interpretation or advice; I don't know for sure. :scratchy

Not to mention that giving an Epi when not needed is harmless, especially since you'd be calling 911 afterwards. *sigh*

I have to agree with Becky too... young babysitters shouldn't have to deal with severe medical conditions, but the information they receive should still be accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:13 pm 

That is CRAZY!!!!!!!! :verymad

Our daughter took the babysitters course through the city last year and they had an entire segment on allergies/ how to administer the epipen!!! LOL I remember this clearly as our daughter was so excited to see the trainers she volunteered to do the demonstration.

I really really hope this was just one very misinformed instructor !! NOT GOOD!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:28 am 

The difference in information can vary a lot with these courses. My kids each took a Home Alone course when they were 11 from different places. The one was excellent and the other was terrible.

When my kids babysit a young child, or if it was someone who uses an epipen, we make sure that one of us is at home in case help is needed. My neighbour did that too when her daughter babysat for us --- one time my daughter got hives and they could not reach us so the sitter's mom helped out :huggy