Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:41 am 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... ncert.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:00 pm 

Don't get me started about concert/event security's wishy-washy policies; this is absurd. I had to justify why I had EpiPens once at a hockey game but they let me keep them! (They made me surrender my safe snacks and water though.) I would have rather left the concert than surrender my EpiPens to anyone. Would they take away oxygen from someone who needed it, a wheelchair from someone with mobility impairments, an insulin pump from a diabetic, or a defibrillator battery? This is very upsetting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:39 pm 

spacecanada wrote:
Don't get me started about concert/event security's wishy-washy policies; this is absurd. I had to justify why I had EpiPens once at a hockey game but they let me keep them! (They made me surrender my safe snacks and water though.) I would have rather left the concert than surrender my EpiPens to anyone. Would they take away oxygen from someone who needed it, a wheelchair from someone with mobility impairments, an insulin pump from a diabetic, or a defibrillator battery? This is very upsetting.

I feel the same way! I had my safe snacks taken away from me at a hockey game once and they questioned my epis but let me through after I showed my medical alert bracelet. I would have asked to speak to the manager and probably left. My life is not worth the price of any concert ticket. I would also email the band that was performing and let them know why I was unable to attend their concert. They would have the most pull.

On another note I went to the Jays game on Canada day and not only did I get to bring my epis but also a full lunch and snacks without being questioned! :happydance

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:35 am 

Quote:
Sarah388On another note I went to the Jays game on Canada day and not only did I get to bring my epis but also a full lunch and snacks without being questioned
:thumbsup :banana
Awesome!!!

And Space Canada: I can't say it any better than you did.
Quote:
:verymad :frightened Would they take away oxygen from someone who needed it, a wheelchair from someone with mobility impairments, an insulin pump from a diabetic, or a defibrillator battery? This is very upsetting.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:41 am 
Site Admin

It's fine adults, but how would a teenager handle this?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:02 pm 

This is really maddening!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:48 pm 

I sent an email to the local concert venue asking about their policy on this. Maybe we should all ask the question about policy and educate these venues. They probably don't know what an epipen is and why it is necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:40 pm 

Contacted the K-Rock in Kingston. They said they would never take epipens nor any medication from patrons at the gates. They suggested that people contact the other venues ahead of time and ask about policy and explain the need to carry the medication.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:18 pm 

I'm not sure about the specific details of this incident, but I can say for certain that local venues in Edmonton have policies but the degree to which they are enforced depends on which security guard you get at the door. When I had my safe snacks confiscated I later saw some kids with similar snacks (not sold at the facility) sitting two rows away from me. Same goes for another time when they refused to let me bring in my camera only to see a dozen other people with the same camera inside the building. (I was allowed to bring in my camera several times before that one...) So it may not be the policies so much as the people enforcing them. I'll definitely give Rexall Place (Edmonton's hockey arena and big concert venue) a call before I go there next time to make sure their policies on allowing EpiPens are crystal clear.

It's sad that we have to keep calling places to see if things are safe and accommodating, and it seems like we have to do it more and more these days. :dungetit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

I just sent an email to the Edmonton Event Centre. I cannot believe that they did not apologize. :verymad

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:47 am 

Did you hear back from them Susan?