You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:39 am 
Site Admin

This is about Kingston camps: http://www.thewhig.com/2012/08/02/city- ... ly-epipens

Allergic Living has previously reported on the Quebec situation this year: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... -injector/

And for U.S. readers, FAAN's Maria Acebal wrote this disturbing column in our Amer. Summer edition on "the guiding hand policy": http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... all-wrong/

I find this shocking that there's such a disconnect between the realities of anaphylaxis and policies that are meant only to protect against liability.

And even if liability is a concern, isn't the lawsuit more likely to happen if you don't take action in an anaphylactic reaction?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:35 am 

What are they all so afraid of?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:29 am 

I have sent an email out to friends and also families of anaphylactic kids encouraging them to get in touch with the mayor and their city councillor about the policy. While my son was growing up this was not the policy. They have camp councillors who have allergies as well. I wonder how they deal with that.
I will keep you posted on responses.
Here is email with contact information. I would encourage people to send an email. I have found that the City is usually responsive to concerns. :
EMAIL
“I encourage you to sent an email to the mayor and your city councillor asking them to reconsider their policy on the administration of the epipen and city camps and programs.

Here is the Whig Article explaining their policy:

http://www.thewhig.com/2012/08/02/city- ... ly-epipens

Here is the link for email addresses for city councillor and mayor just clink on profile.

http://www.cityofkingston.ca/cityhall/c ... uncillors/

Please pass this on to anyone who has an anaphylactic child and or anyone you think can help advocate for anaphylactic children.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:12 pm 

Is Anaphylaxis considered a disability and if so where can I find a reference to that fact?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:22 am 

A response to a parent from the city :

Code:
 We are currently reviewing our procedure on this issue and will advise all camp participants if there is a change to our procedure as a result of the review.  I understand that this is a time sensitive issue for you, and potentially many others, and as such we are making this review and potential procedural change a priority.  There are a number of things we need to consider here such as the potential liability around medications being administered by staff, staff training to do so, and potential cost impacts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:52 pm 

Cost impacts? How does that compare to a child's death or coma or whatever result from anaphylaxis?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:18 am 

It is sad but the bureaucrats sees money has a greater value than the life of a child. Very, very sad... and disturbing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:19 pm 

Great news. The City of Kingston have voted to change the policy and will begin training on August 20th. I spoke with the city rec department as did other parents. They looked at other policies and voted to change theirs so epipens will be administered if ever needed. They are revisiting the whole policy not just this part.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:19 pm 

Well done! That is advocacy at work to protect camp participants. Thank you on behalf of all the families who don't even know this happened.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

That's great news, Mary. Bravo!

:thumbsup :thumbsup

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:47 am 

Well done. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:11 pm 

I ditto the well done!! You in most reality mgreenspan just saved a life! :happydance

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:48 am 

Anyone from Kingston who just read the Whig article from a few days ago that said that children were still encouraged to first self administer the epipen. This is incorrect. On the city form that you fill in when you register your child it gives parents/guardians a choice. Do you want your child to self administer or do you give permission for a city employee to administer.

The City needs to be congratulated for listening to concerns and being swift in changing their policy to accommodate children with life threatening allergies.

Such a relief!