You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:54 pm 

I know this site is more about anaphylaxis, but hopefully someone can relate to environmental allergies. I moved to Ontario three years ago from California. I've split my life between the two countries and consider both my home. I'd heard Ontario was pretty open minded and tolerant, but I've just about lost all faith here. For the first time in my life, I feel hostility from many towards me because of my allergies. 

The first thing - and this is mind boggling - it is illegal for a landlord to offer an allergy-free environment! There's a law called "Fluffy's Law" that makes it illegal to ban pets from apartments. Seriously!?! I've never encountered discrimination against those with pet allergies before, and certainly not having it legislated. Anywhere else in Canada or the US, to my knowledge anyway, those who have pets find a place that takes pets. Those that medically can't go into a building with pets (significant air moves between units, common hallways are a major issue) are still legally allowed to rent a place that doesn't make them bed-bound sick. Unbelievable, how did eliminating any and all rental rights of those with dog and cat allergies ever become a law?

Secondly, an apartment can not evict a tenant for breaking a non-smoking clause. So as someone being allergic to tobacco, there's no safe way to rent in a smoke-free complex here, something that's common in most of North America. If someone wanted to open a complex that was allergy-safe for pets and cigarette smoke, they wouldn't be legally allowed to do so. 

Then there's the pesticide ban. Arguments can be made for and against the ban, but one thing is clear - a pesticide ban doesn't mean you can let weeds run wild. But a lot of people - and cities - seem to think it does. With my worst allergies being weeds and grass, I've been affected in summer/fall to the point where I can't live a normal day to day life, I'm sicker than I thought a person could be. When I see three foot ragweed growing in people's yards and sidewalk cracks, it's not only frustrating and ugly, but depressing beyond belief. 

Then there's cigarette smoke. The past 20 years, it hadn't been an issue. Smokers typically realized if they smoke, they need to make sure they aren't inconveniencing others. Even if it's outside, stand downwind, blow the smoke away, step away from the building, simple little things to be polite and considerate. But here, I've had numerous problems with smokers smoking in non-smoking outdoor areas (sports events, etc.). To make it worse, when you ask them to stop, instead of an apology, I've been yelled at, threatened, and told not to leave home if I don't like it. I've never seen this type of attitude before - at first, I thought it was an isolated incident, but after several incidents, I'm becoming very uncomfortable at events. 

My question is - is it better where you live? Are other provinces or states becoming weed-infested eyesores that are allergy nightmares, or are there still better places to live for those with allergies? Is it legal to rent a safe apartment in other places? Are people tolerant and understanding when it comes to smoking in your cities, states, and provinces?

Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:57 am 

If a neighbour's weeds are overgrown we just have to call the city and the neighbour will be sent a warning; if it is bad enough and they do not respond the city can take care of it and add the cost to their property taxes. My friend's job one summer was visiting said houses - it wasn't a fun job!

Although I have never rented here, there is signage on buildings that says pets are allowed so I assume there is not a no-pet rule.

Hard to believe that landlords cannot refuse a pet and hard to believe that no one has fought that rule before.

What if you rented a suite in someone's home?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:47 pm 

My understanding is, you can't even refuse pets if it's a suite in someone's home or someone's home itself (if you're away for a year, haven't moved in yet, etc.). So for an allergic person, renting our your home or part of it is an impossibility as the tenant has the right to make you miserably and continuously sick by having a pet (the dander tends to linger for about a year afterwards). It seems very bizarre and narrow-minded.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:30 pm 

Quote:
My question is - is it better where you live? Are other provinces or states becoming weed-infested eyesores that are allergy nightmares, or are there still better places to live for those with allergies? Is it legal to rent a safe apartment in other places? Are people tolerant and understanding when it comes to smoking in your cities, states, and provinces?

I had to move out of the apartment and into a Townhome. Its not perfect, but it was what we could afford. Where I live, so many places ban pets. My Town home association only allows cats. The unit I walk by is an allergy zone with scented crap coming out of her house and dryer vent. They love Birds, so have bird feeders everywheres. I have to walk right by all of that and hold my breath while the birds fly away.

Smoking? I was on antibiotics 4 times a year before I moved. They couldn't smoke in the main hallways, but their smoke would go under their doors and through the holes in the wall (for the heater and plumbing) and come into my apartment.

Tolerance: I find that intolerance runs high every wheres. We have people who don't care that the sign says "no smoking" or that it tells you to smoke in another section of the grounds. We have people who smoke all the way up to the door to go in - right by oxygen tanks! People here are ignorantly stupid and don't want to change, and really don't care if it kills anyone because they insist that it can NOT kill them, that oxygen can NOT burn from smoking. The problem is that we were taught to be self-centered, me-me'ist. The other problem is that our law has no teeth. Fining the restaurant or bar or hospital or whatever place, is not going to solve the problem when its the patrons who don't give a rip and insist on violating laws. We can not post policemen every wheres just to keep the fools smoke free in "banned" areas.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt