You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: RFI - Crabby Joes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:33 pm 

I recently went to a Crabby Joes and found them to be very unfamiliar with the needs of an allergic person. They did not have the ingredients of their food for me to look at and I felt they did not understand the cross contamination issue. I ordered a wrap and when I asked them to check for a may contain label on the wrap I was told they didn't have the box and therefore couldn't tell me either way. I decided to order a chicken salad instead. Once our food arrived we found an almond in a salad of someone I was with (not my salad) but still made me nervous. I checked my salad and didn't find anything that wasn't supposed to be there. After we ate I went back to the washroom which meant I had to go through the bar. At the back near the washrooms there was a barrel of PEANUTS! People were cracking the peanuts, throwing the shells on the floor or on the table, and wondering around the bar with them. :frightened I was very concerned. I am not allergic to peanuts but I felt that since I was not aware of this I felt that there maybe other things around that may pose a risk. I pointed it out to the waitress and was told that I should have known Crabby Joes had peanuts and not come in. I asked how I was supposed to know when there wasn't a sign on the door and I was traveling and recognized the name as a chain. She continued to tell me that she has had other people come in and have to leave in the middle of their meal due to eye swelling and rashes/hives. This proves that they need to have a sign on the door stating there are lose peanuts in the restaurant. I have emailed the corporate office about the situation and to make them aware of how dangerous this could be to someone with a peanut allergy. I will not be returning to this restaurant or any of it's chains. I was lucky but was very anxious about the situation the rest of the day.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

Post subject: Re: RFI - Crabby Joes
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:46 am 

What a horrible experience for you. They are certainly living up to their 'crabby' name! May I ask which one you went to? My son tells me he went to the new Crabby Joe's in Pickering a few months ago (twice) and didn't notice any peanuts at the bar. Servers were ok, no problems, but he did say the food is really not that good so decided not to go back. Still, having read the horrible way they treat their customers with allergies, I'll suggest to my son that he keep away from all of them. It's good you complained to their head office as they need to know how the franchises are representing their company. They have a Facebook page and you could post your concern there. I find companies address the issues more readily when the complaint is made public. (BTW I read a past post on Facebook from someone complaining that they have no nutritional/allergen info on their website. That was in July and Crabby Joe's replied they were working on it).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:44 pm 

It was the Port Elgin location that I went to. Apparently they are only in Ontario but there are quite a few in their list on the website. I have commented on their fb page with no response about it as well. I don't care that they have peanuts I just want a sign saying there are peanuts. It's scary to think of someone going in there and having a reaction from the peanut dust all over the place. I'll keep you updated if they reply to my email or fb comment.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:08 am 

Just wondering if any Crabby Joe's representatives have replied to you yet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:02 am 

I received this email from them a few days ago but I haven't received anything since. They have my contact info so assume they wont be replying. My post on their fb page has only received responses from others not from the business itself.

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why our Port Elgin location did not meet your expectations. We have every desire to address the issues that you have raised and we hope to provide the best solution available to resolve this matter as soon as possible. It is important to us that all guest experiences are of the best quality and customer service as possible.

Please send us your contact information and If required, we will be in contact with you in the coming days to make our best attempt in regaining your confidence in Crabby Joe’s Tap & Grill. In addition, we will further evaluate how we can prevent this problem from occurring again in the future.

Please accept our sincerest apology for any trouble or inconvenience we have caused you. Again, we highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do. As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and we will hope to serve you again in the future.

Sincerely,

Viona

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:21 am 

Thanks for the update. Their response looks like a 'form letter', general in nature, to cover all complaints. Maybe they'll send you a voucher in an attempt to have you return. However, that offers no reassurance that the peanut issue has been addressed. Anyway, well done for taking your concerns further.