You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:22 pm 

I'm wondering if others have dealt with this. . . Every year our school participates in the Terry Fox run, which I think is great. The classes walk together to a nearby park/field, and then the students run a couple of laps, then have a snack afterwards. They are great with providing peanut/nut free snacks and all that is fine. My issue is that I have two kids and they don't run at the same pace. DD, aged 7 in Gr 3, will want to run with her friends like she did before, and last year, I ran with DS who was in K, and who wouldn't be able to keep up with his sister. This means that while DD is running, she is not under the direct supervision of an adult, as all the kids are running at different paces and the teacher just meets them at the end. There are several teachers and staff from our school there, and all are epipen trained, so chances are, wherever she was, she would be in fairly close proximity to a teacher. I *could* insist they both run with me, or have my dad also come and run with one of them, but is this necessary? Thoughts?

Last year in Cross Country, I attended the meets, and would get her set up at the start line, then meet her at the finish line, but while she was running, I couldn't see her. I had her wear one epipen and her bracelet has my cell phone engraved along with her allergies. The course was only 1K, so it was maybe 8 min max that I didn't have her within my sight. I told her if she started having problems to grab the nearest parent spectator and ask them to phone my cell. Not sure what else I could have done apart from run WITH her, but even if I did this on the outside of the actual course markings, it seemed like overkill and probably embarrassing for her.

Would you guys be OK with your kid running without an adult for a short period of time? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Alison's Mom, by the time you read this, the run will probably be over. :(

I hope it went well. I wouldn't be any more worried about your youngest daughter than I would any other kindergarten student not being supervised. No one should be eating until they get back with the teachers.

Let us know what you decided to do and how it went.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:43 pm 

Thanks Susan. Well, the first CC meet was yesterday, and at a different park so I could see her the whole time. I carried her epipens and it was no problem. The Terry Fox run is this afternoon. I will get both kids to carry one epipen and I will carry the spares and run with DS. DD will run with her friends and meet her tracher at the end.

At the city wide meet where I won't be able to see her, she'll carry one epipen and again have my cell number on her bracelet. Maybe I'll put a sticker on her shirt that identifies her as anaphylaxis risk as well.