You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Air Travel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:44 pm 

I realize that service is inconsistent at best with airlines but that being said, does anyone recommend one airline over another, or a list of good options regarding managing peanut allergy safety?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Air Travel
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:27 am 
Site Admin

WestJet is by far the most allergy aware.

See our chart here: http://www.allergicliving.com/?p=3231

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:14 pm 

Wow, thanks Gwen! This chart is awesome!!! Once again, Allergic Living is a great resource!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:59 pm 

We fly Westjet whenever possible, especially when travelling with the kids. Besides it actually being safer onboard with no actual nuts/peanuts served, they go above and beyond in the food allergy department and I want to reward them with my business when possible. Yes, people can bring in their nuts, but that is less risky than the whole plane eating peanuts or even some passengers buying them.

They implemented the buffer row system before they were mandated to do so by Transport Canada, and avoid nuts/peanuts on their menu even though this hasn't been mandated (but makes sense). They even stock Enjoy Life bars. That's just good customer service for a growing population with food allergies.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:47 am 

Another big vote for WestJet here. We fly with them whenever possible, even when they cost more. They never make me submit 'fit to fly' forms, and always provide a buffer zone, make cabin announcements, have no tree nuts or peanuts served or sold onboard, and their flight attendants always check that I have EpiPens with me. They even stock EpiPens on their planes. Their allergy policies are well known by all their staff and upheld consistently. It doesn't get much better than that! Totally worth it in our books. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Robinsegg. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:32 pm 

One comment about WestJet - when flying to the US on a WestJet code share flight, double check who the US carrier is. I know we considered WestJet for our flight to Orlando, but one leg of the flight was going to be on Delta Airlines.

Given that Delta still serve peanuts on their flights, I didn't feel it was the best fit for my peanut allergic son. :?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:11 pm 

Yes, good point, and one I brought up with WestJet when they announced the code shares. We always confirm that our flights are operated by WestJet ONLY, no code shares, as WestJet said they cannot uphold their allergy policies on code share flights. :(

We flew to Orlando with WestJet, via Toronto, and all our flights were WestJet operated. The itineraries do exist, but the scheduling may not be as convenient (or cheap) as code shares. *sigh*

Edited to add: Apparently Delta changed their allergy policies over the summer and no longer serve peanuts onboard. They will allow passengers with allergies to pre board and will make an onboard announcement. I am not sure if they have buffer zones or how they deal with tree nut allergies. It's a big improvement.