You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:33 pm 

This is my year for encountering things.

We just moved to a townhouse and have neighbours who cook curry next door. I had a really bad reaction so we approached the people and they were not helpful so we had to talk to the landlord. Thank goodness the landlord allowed us to seal the plugs etc. on their side (and ours) and the builder installed a new exhaust fan and asked them to turn their exhaust fan and main exhaust fan on when they are cooking.

We were good for about a month and then all of a sudden it is coming through again very strong and we had to leave the house last Saturday it was so bad. There is something in the curry spices that is bothering me, I get shortness of breath, closing of the throat and sneezing.

It also sticks to the air here and everything and takes much time to get out. I have 3 large air purifiers going all the time and I can still smell it. The next day I feel horrible. We did email the landlord to remind his tenants to turn the exhaust fans on and he forwarded it.

These tenants are gone in August, but who knows who will move in. So this is a warning to anyone who has severe allergies not to purchase a town home or a semi as you have no control of what people are cooking.
Lou :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:12 pm 

Because we can smell foods cooked in our neighbours home, I always worry about who moves in.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:16 pm 

That is really tough. And unfortunately we never know when something will bother us. The smell of fish has never bothered me but the other night it was overwhelming when my daughter cooked fish sticks.

Hopefully the landlord can get the smell out of the other unit because if not it wouldn't be surprising if another family who enjoys curry moves in. However, there are so many different curries I wonder if a different one would not bother you.

Is there any chance your neighbour would let you see the package for what they use so you could try to isolate what is causing the problems for you?

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:48 pm 

Oh my that is something to think about. I never considered that before!!!! Sorry the smells made you ill, what a challenging situation.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:10 am 

Wow, another thing to worry about. We are in a detached house now, so we're fine, but I worry about my kids when they get older and end up in dorms or places with roommates. I can only hope that desensitization treatments will be effective by then!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:17 am 

We pretty much have solved the problem as long as the people beside us are turning their stove exhaust fan and the main exhaust fan for their house. Although if we have a fan on here it will draw the smell through to us.

It's probably all the spices that I am reacting to since I have so many food allergies/intolerances along with MCS. I eat a very bland diet which makes it worse for sure with food smells.

I recommend that if you are purchasing a new town home to discuss it with your builder so that they can put an extra barrier wall and make sure everything is sealed properly. Or make sure you get the unit with the brick wall separation and that is sealed properly. Also observe where things are exhausting to outside.

I am hoping the landlord will be more selective in his tenants next time, he has been very cooperative and a very nice person to deal with.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:37 pm 

I wonder if you are reacting to Cinnamon? Cinnamon is a common spice in Curry. Mace is also a strong spice, as is Hing (asafoetida). Hope this list proves useful to someone.

Here is a list of what all is found in a common Curry:

(Quote from my website)
Curry Powder and Sambar Powder: A blend of spices which usually include:
Cayenne, Chili Powder (Nighshade Family), Cinnamon, Coriander, Cumin, Fenugreek,
Ginger, Turmeric.

Other spices that may be found include (not exhaustive due to cook variations):
Asafoetida, Black Cardamom, Black Pepper, Caraway, Clove, Fennel Seed, Garlic,
Green Cardamom, Long Pepper, Mustard Seed, Nutmeg,

Sambar powder often contain Green Chili and other hot and spicy Peppers from
the Nightshade Family.

Garam Masala: Hails from the Northern Region of India, is very popular in the
Punjabi region, and is not considered a curry, traditionally, but does contain
similiar spices which can include...
Bay Leaves, Black Cumin, Black Peppercorns, Cardomom, Cinnamon, Cloves,
Coriander, Cumin, Ginger, Green Peppercorns, Mace, Nutmeg, Pink Peppercorns,
Star Anise, White Peppercorns most commonly, as well as other spices, including
Mustard Powder. Note that there are many variations which can include spices
not listed here.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:00 am 

I am not sure what the ingredients or foods they were cooking as the people living there were not very cooperative with us. It would have been nice to work with them to find out what they were cooking and do a test with the fan. They have left now and we are wondering who will move in next.
We have decided to start looking for a detached house, it is unfortunate because I love the townhouse and the location and am not looking forward to another move and all the work and expense. Not to mention the stress of selling!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:27 pm 

Sorry to hear they weren't cooperative. :huggy
Best wishes on your move and selling.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

I think you're wise to move. The current situation is just not tolerable.

I hope you find something suitable.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb