You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:52 pm 

This good news story appeared in The Hamilton Spectator today (Nov 7/12)

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/artic ... ith-epipen

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

Great story - thanks for posting!

Does anyone know if epinephrine in a vial is in standard emergency kits in schools? I know Epis aren't, and that teacher contracts require a med prof. to "draw up" a needle - but I wondered: are the vials even their in school kits? The vials, for instance, are usually in airlines' emerg. kits. Thx!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:26 pm 

Great story. Nice to know someone had their wits about them and put politics aside to use an EpiPen from another student.

I have never seen phials of epinephrine, or phials of anything else for that matter, in a school emergency kit before. I would be curious to hear if other districts stock them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:44 am 

It is a good news story but I really do think that schools should have epis as part of their emergency kits and not take the risk of using an epi belonging to other children. Obviously it was needed and thank heavens there was one there... Hopefully it was promptly replaced.

I do know a school where the administrator has made the decision to have epis in the office and a few other locations (it is a large school) so that they don't need to use prescribed epis belonging to others should a 'first time' reaction happen or a child loses/forgets theirs or the medication sent in by families has expired.

Wouldn't it be nice if this was a requirement?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:22 am 

This is a great story of quick thinking to save a young woman's life.

I have never seen vials of epinephrine at schools. There is a drawer or container full of spare epi-pens prescribed to individual students. My daughter carries two epis plus has her spare in the office so we would gladly let the school grab her spare if needed for someone else. There are so many there that the odds of everyone needing their spare at the same time are remote.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:07 pm 

About the whole vial issue... isn't it a non-issue now that you can buy epis over the counter with no prescription? That removes the conflict/concern regarding dosing and using a needle vs. an auto-administered device.
At least that is what the one school we know about has done - they have bought non-presecribed epi jrs and epis.
I think it is forward thinking :)