You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

We forget that there are still so many non-compliant people at risk of anaphylaxis out there.

But this study sure tells the tale ....

Quote:
An astounding 63 percent of adults at risk of anaphylaxis do not always carry an epinephrine auto-injector with them, according to a new Leger Marketing study.

Also of concern, 51 percent of parents of children at risk of this life-threatening form of allergic reaction do not have epinephrine available at all times, says the study released on Nov. 1.

http://allergicliving.com/index.php/2012/11/02/14919/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:03 am 

I don't necessarily carry it at all time but if I will be eating or know there will be food involve, I have it with me. It's not like I go out a lot anywaysé. :p

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:02 am 

I've met many adults who do not carry their epi-pens. A co-worker is allergic to nuts but doesn't bother. A different co-worker (also allergic to nuts and working in a commercial kitchen with nuts) when asked by one of the teenagers said why should he since he knows that I always have mine --- um, that is for me!

The day that they need an epi-pen I truly hope their children are not the ones who have to call 911 feeling utterly helpless.

While it is a nuisance, I always have an epipen with me and typically two since there have been too many reports of autoinjectors that did not work. I honestly consider it respectful to my family, friends and coworkers to always have my epipens.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:45 am 

I've reacted in situations where I thought I would be safe, so I always have two injectors with me. The risk of not having them when needed is too great.

However, I know at least two adults who have food allergies and don't always have injectors, even when they eat. The stories I hear are frightening. :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

I think we might have found a main cause for the problem here:
Quote:
Structured interviews with 318 physicians indicated that substantial numbers do not always provide epinephrine to patients they believe are having anaphylactic reactions, often fail to refer anaphylaxis patients for follow-up care, and believe incorrectly that some such patients should not receive epinephrine auto-injectors, said Myron Zitt, MD, of the State University of New York at Stony Brook.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ACAAI/35908

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb